Max II 850T Drive Belt

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Max II 850T Drive Belt

http://www.daycoproducts.com/daycowe...1!OpenDocument This link should take you to Dayco's new "HP" and "HPX" belt numbers which replace the Dayco Max drive belt numbers,not the Max to be confused with our beloved machines but a Dayco drive belt "Max" belt

Well I finally sourced what I think is the right drive belt.The Dayco belt I got is a HP 3035 and it is precisely the right length.Now a possible new problem though granted I have not tried it yet.I read that all Max use a 1 3/16 inch wide belt.I got a 1 1/4(pretty close) but if it truly is a 1 3/16 inch only then Dayco doesn't make one to fit it regarding the right length and 1 3/16 wide.Any opinions on using a 1 1/4 inch wide belt?

yup , if it is not the right width then you will sacrafice top speed but add a little power , i think not a big problem

Thanks RobinHood.I know the replacement which was in the maintenance kit was 1 1/4 " but it was over an inch too short. :-)

A lesson learned. They mean it when they say a 1 3/16 inch wide belt.The 1 1/4 inch one wouldn't work.It might if one compensated for the extra width by putting in a longer one.I tried it and just on the test floor it feathered the edges and the machine creeped without throttle.The wider one doesn't set fully down in the sheaves on the transmission causing the belt to not have the required 1 3/4 inch deflection.LOL when the old belt wears out I will have to park it. Dayco simply doesn't make a belt within that fine a requirement.RI didn't respond to a request for one.

A couple of things. If you want the right belt you can still get it. It's easier than you think. If it weren't available then everyone with a Max II would have to park their machine. That is not the case. It might not be the same belt that you have but there is a belt available for your max.

You said that recreatives didn't respond to you. If you emailed them then call instead. Seriously, just pick up the phone and you will get the right belt. Ask for Dan or Jay. They are very helpful on the phone but I have never tried to email them and others have said that they are slow to respond to emails. Amphibious Six-Wheel Drive All-Terrain Vehicles: MaxATVs - Call 1-800-255-2511

If you are trying to source them locally then just take your old belt back to the auto parts store and have them look one up by the length. Or post the length on here. It really is that easy Again, it may not be the exact same belt that you have but it will be one that is the same size or close to it. We have enough adjustment with the motor mounts that the belt can be 1/2" off and still work.

Finally, you said that the 1.25" belt that you have now was causing the machine to creep forward but that may just be because it is a new belt so it is getting lots of grip. Did you try driving it around any to see if the belt loosened up a little?
    Last edited by Mike; 12-06-2009 at 12:46 AM. Reason: I can't spell :rolleyes:

yup, i think mike is right there , if you are creeping it may be that you need to adjust the motor mounts and give the belt a little more play (new belts are notoriously sticky) as for the width 1/8 diff should still let it work , maybe your clutch isn't closing up properly . as for Rec. Ind . if you give them a call they are usually right on the ball ,

I appreciate all the responses to this dilemma.I re-installed my old belt,though as you said Mike driving it may have loosened it.I did think that phoning probably would be the better answer as in the past they respond immediately if the question can be answered by clerical staff but do not respond if the answer comes from beyond the office.The clutch in question is on the transmission and it does close fully and by doing so doesn't allow the wider belt to sit in flush when at rest or idle,therby decreasing the slack.The real frustration here in Canada is that RI has a Canadian distributor to whom they refer us and they answer neither phone calls nor emails.We cannot buy direct from RI as you can in the US,small parts might be an exception.As you had indicated Robinhood out west in the oil patch country.Oil exploration companies had dropped Max citing inability to source parts.I find this to be sad.I'll overcome this belt issue as I am on it a fair bit of time prior to failure.The high side.........changing belts is now a snap .LOL Thanks boys.

OH MY ,i forgot you had to go thru the Can. Dist. that explains it ,yes the oil patch company/s have been dropping the max line , that is why i got my 04 Max IV w/27 hp Kaw. "loaded" with tracks for $500 bucks (they sold 8 of them) , they were citeing the difficulty of getting parts ,3 to 6 weeks to get some lousy part that one should by all rights get in a couple days. there is a dealer in the states right across the border from you ,
    this guy is in south western New Hamshire

SIX WHEEL ATV SALES
    29 SURRY DAM ROAD
    P.O. BOX 745
    KEENE, NH 03431
    USA
    (603) 352-4625

this guy is in central Vermont about 75 miles from the Can. border

PIONEER MAX RECREATION
    2829 US RT 7
    LEICESTER, VT 05733
    USA
    (802) 247-4242

maybe give them a call , i've found that getting parts thru US dealers is quicker , easier AND CHEAPER than going thru the Can Dist.

Ultimately I think buying through an American dealer would be the only real fix though will be pricey with them buying from RI,shipping,duty etc,however it will solve it.The GM of the Canadian distributor in Winnipeg is prompt with emails no question but he refers me to his eastern manager in the Toronto area and as you must know those around Toronto believe the Atlantic Ocean laps at the shores of Montreal.Argo sure didn't make this mistake as the terrain in Atlantic Canada is an enormous market.I'll soldier on. Thanks Robinhood.

+ Reply to Thread