Loose axle question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Loose axle question

Loose axle question

I'm looking at a 2001 MaxII. I wrote an earlier message asking about it's worth. I have searched and read just about all the posts looking for an answer. This Max's left center wheel is rubbing on the underside of the fender well or body. The owner says it has bad bearings on that axle. He has new bearings for every axle that go with the machine. Does this sound right? I didn't have time to raise the body to look at this area inside. Any thoughts? Thanks....

It could also be a bent axle or rim. The floor pan should lift up so you can take a look at the front. I would lift that side up off the ground and spin everything and feel for any axle play. If you dont have a jack, a guy or 2 can lift it while someone stuffs something under it. Have him drive it while you watch the axles and see if you see anything funny. Im not sure why you dont have the time to check it out but it would be a lot better if you could leave earlier or something so you can lift the body. Its not really to much involved and would only take a few extra minutes.

I can only get to where it is while working so time is short. You can physically move the wheel up and down, left and right..Is it possible or has any one seen an axle eat through the bearing retainer and hurt the body or frame?

Quote Originally Posted by cwm108 View Post
    I can only get to where it is while working so time is short. You can physically move the wheel up and down, left and right..Is it possible or has any one seen an axle eat through the bearing retainer and hurt the body or frame?
    The body and frame should be ok. Most likely. But I say that and something realy freaky could probably happen, lol.

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Bad bearing... loose flange bolts... axles not locked in place... bent axle...loose lug nuts... all of the above...

Ive had a bearing go out on the back of my max iv and can say that if the
    bearing does then the frame will eat through the axle until the axle breaks..

How much play is in the axle? If it touches the bottom of the Max it sounds like the bearing has popped out of the flange (had a Max lV bearing do that) or like they say a bent axle. I just looked at mine and it would take a lot of play (2") to make the tire touch the body unless they are huge tires of course. Mine are 21's. You should do as LarryW said and do some investigating before buying. If he is truly trying to sell it, he would make arrangements to have it lifted when you get there. As far as value: What else is wrong with it? I just picked up a '97 for $2500 and have already spent $700 on it. (chains, tensioners, bearings/flanges, throttle cable). You get the drift. What's he asking for it?
    Our motto in the Strategic Air Command was "Peace is our Profession". If you don't believe it we'll bomb the hell out of you.

Damn,
    I just realized I answered a 2010 posting Oh well, maybe he's still waiting for an answer
    Last edited by Outlaw1; 11-26-2014 at 07:28 PM.
    Our motto in the Strategic Air Command was "Peace is our Profession". If you don't believe it we'll bomb the hell out of you.

+ Reply to Thread