bilge pump

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bilge pump

bilge pump

I know that a well sealed max will not take water but mine is not well sealed i just put in a pump but not a bilge pump how do u put a bilge pump in without drilling holes anywhere i just put in this morning a utility pump thats works better and alot faster than a bilge as fast as i can pump water in the pump pushes it out faster my water hose couldnt keep up with the pump. Does alot of people use them in there machines of course it cost me more to hook it up then the pump did but itshould never sink from water i hope

So you are using a 12v small utility pump like that would be used on a sprayer or something?

You will have to drill a hole for a bilge pump outlet unless you just toss the hose over the side when your pumping or something. The hole is not that big and I wouldnt worry about doing it. I would mount the pump where the water would lowest when your in the water. If it rides high in rear, find a spot in the front. If it rides high in the front, mount it in the rear. Sorry if that sounds silly, lol. If it rides pretty flat in the water I would mount it in the rear or front but not in the middle though. Mainly because when out of the water you can drive up or back up on something to push all the water to the pump. I would prefer the rear mount because it is easier with more room and because I normally drive up something to drain out of the rear drain holes anyways. As far as the outlet it doesnt matter so much but I would try to keep the line short and sweet. Just because the longer it is and more bends you have the slower it would pump.

the main drawback i see to a fluid transfer pump versus a bilge pump, is that a bilge is meant to operate in much worse conditions than a transfer pump. the bilge will hold up better to being bounced around in an atv and also to pumping dirty water. the bilge has a screen to keep out the large debris, and the bilge pump has bigger clearances to allow the small stuff to pass through (also why they pump a bit slower)
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Its a waster water/ utility pump im useing 1/2" id line and the reason i went with this is cause i didnt know how to mount a bilge pump without drilling holes to mount it and the maxs tub isnt flat all the way around so water would have to be deep for it to suck from the flat spot on tub this pmp will flow some serious water out your right about debrie floating in tub but i wouldnt suck that stuff up because it all stayed floating i think it will go thru pump with no problems but only time will tell

I have experimented with a few bilge pumps and I believe self priming utility pump is the was to go.(Though I have yet to get one).I tried a good size bilge pump though the only plave I could find to put it was in the rear.I have found that when water comes in it tends to collect in the front and by as it will sit slightly down in the front unless moving right along.I tried pumps in the front but the only place for them to be effective was in the chain trough and it clear the chains they had to be so tiny they were easily plugged.In short I think the system most effective would be self priming utility pump with a suction line in the front in the chain trough.Ideally two suctions ,one for each trough.

Thats what i did but put mine in back got it setup to suck from both sides at rear and pumping it does with no problems

+ Reply to Thread