Height of Roll Bar

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Height of Roll Bar

Height of Roll Bar

Hi, Ihave no roll bar so am fabricating one. Just wondering what height to build it. What height is the factory fitted bar from where it meets from the top of the tub?
    Phil

i'm not sure what the factory height is, but build it so you (or the tallest person running the machine) will have a few inches of head room under it so you won't be bonking your head. i build all my cages as low as possible (which isn't too low as i'm 6'6") so that i have better chances of getting under fallen logs and limbs on the trail
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

If you're doing it youself, factory specs won't help. As stated, it should be at lest 4" higher than the tallest person in it.
    Note Well: Roll bar/cage is useless without seatbelts.
    Both bar and seatbelts need to be hard-mounted to the frame, such that when inverted, it can handle the weight of the machine, and the meat hanging in the belts.
    I owe my life to a factory set.

my max iv clearly had a roll cage in its past... but it doesn't appear to have had anything that brought it down to the frame that the chains and sprockets are tied to... I have considered fab-ing a cage... does it need to tie all the way down? mine has clear markings on top of the area where the tub and top meet...

hmmmmm I figured it had been a factory unit... maybe not

The Max IV factory cage does not tie into the frame. It mounts on the outer lip of the tubs.

I have the factory roll cage; in my opinion it's several inches too low. I've rapped my head on the both the sidebar and crossbar several times (usually in bumpy or sticky situations). I plan on raising mine about six inches, that may be a bit much but I don't like half-measures. I also feel I'll need the space for some form of suspension seat. I'll get the factory height when I go home, I'd estimate it's about 33".

I checked my roll cage; it's 42" from the tub rim to the top of the rear bar and 38" for same dimension on the front bar. It's about 33" above the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The Max IV factory cage does not tie into the frame. It mounts on the outer lip of the tubs.
    Correct- I assumed a II. The belts should be frame-linked though. On the IV it's rim mounted but the total load area is more than sufficient to bear the weight. On a II the bar fits thru the upper body, combined with the belt bracket and rests on the frame over the trans well.

+ Reply to Thread