Max 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Max 8x8

OK, OK!!

Thanks for the support EVERYbody! I can only work so fast! I goof up enough things when I take my time, so I want to make sure this one-off project doesn't go south real fast. For goodness sake, I'm not a Scanlon!

Let's address some posts!

*Yes! There is PLENTY of enough tub for a Max 4 wheeler. It'd be as long as it is wide!

*The low quality pics can be seen here....

*There are ZERO right angles, but there is only a small section of tub that actually needs to be remolded to make the "halves" match up... I hope to do that tomorrow.

*No. You may not have the Trainer.

Tonight was a failed effort at trying to weld up 1/4" HDPE with a hot air plastic welder. It works fantastic on the ABS, but the HDPE requires a unique setup. It is with heavy heart that I admit that I think I may farm out the welding to a professional. I'm just afraid I'll cob it.

Seeing everybody excited about this is really awesome. Thanks again for the encouragement. I just want to get to the welding and bending metal part. THAT's the most fun.

I already have an idea of what I want to do for an engine, but just to throw a piece of meat to the lions, let's hear some opinions on what people would throw in if it was THEIR machine.... Just for fun

~m

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    , let's hear some opinions on what people would throw in if it was THEIR machine.... Just for fun
    unless you already have the bearings and flanges, I would use the larger argo HDi bearings and flange to make it bullet proof from the start.

I guess you will lower the center axles to ease the turning.

I would use sprockets for single SAE60 or double 50 chains (like my old argo) argo sprockets may fit the splined max axles.

I would put the engine behind the T20 to lower center of gravity

boy that's a nice project !!!!
    2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

Well if I could choose any engine i would go with a 30 hp 3cyl kubota diesel that would do the trick for anything you could encounter
    8x8 twice as good as 4x4

....or, it may be more practical to go with the Kubota like LTV says. - wouldn't sound as nice, though
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

I cant wait to see more of this one!!!

Last edited by whipper-ag; 07-13-2016 at 03:51 PM.

This is going to be one neat machine. If there's anyone that can do it.....
    O,by the way if you go with the diesel can I at least have the motor out of the tank trainer?
    Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    ... let's hear some opinions on what people would throw in if it was THEIR machine.... Just for fun
    ~m
    If you want this to move, might as well go all the way.

V-4 Drag; Bore X Stroke 74 X 58.5; 1025cc; 275hp @ 10,000
    Yes, it's a 2-stroke. Yes, I wanted one in my racer.
    No I couldn't and Can't afford it, and No I have no Idea what tranny will handle it.
    But you'll be the only 8-wheeler amphib doing wheelies at will, so whats a *few* grand?

Quote Originally Posted by whipper-ag View Post
    Max IV 8 wheeled Springer
    Sooo, would that be the Centipede?
    Last edited by 6X6; 11-16-2010 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Naming the not YET built 8x8 springer.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

if your worried about strength of the tub you could always use the tub to make a fiberglass mold then you could make the tub out of fiberglass and make it thick where it needs the strength (and then you could make and sell some tubs to fund the project)

My biggest concern about the tubs wasn't the strength of the joint, but the water-tightness off it. The machine will get a 1/4" UHMW plate under and around the sides anway, so when the 80 or so rivets are installed holding it together, it won't go anywhere.

I'd LOVE to throw in a Turbo'd Kubota diesel, but we'll have to see where the budget is. Right now, there's far less than $100 bucks invested in the machine, and I AM on a bit of a budget. I have calls in to two local plastic fabrication companies, and I'm going to call around some more today to see if somebody will tackle the welding for me. I'd invest in a real nice welding gun, but they're upwards of $900-$1500 for an entry level unit.

Drader makes a great gun, but I can't even find retail prices for it. Heck, I'd even rent one, but they're not even available locally.

~m

+ Reply to Thread