Max 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Max 8x8

Mike if you are looking for a nice 4cyl 4 stroke at a reasonable price, even comes with a wrecked snowmobile attached to it.
    YAMAHA RX1 IN NEED OF TLC: eBay Motors (item 120647838148 end time Nov-22-10 05:33:23 PST)
    Then again you probably don't need 150 hp. It would make one heck of a racer.

I bet you could find a Geo metro with a 3cyl pretty cheap.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseybigfoot View Post
    Mike if you are looking for a nice 4cyl 4 stroke at a reasonable price, even comes with a wrecked snowmobile attached to it.
    YAMAHA RX1 IN NEED OF TLC: eBay Motors (item 120647838148 end time Nov-22-10 05:33:23 PST)
    Then again you probably don't need 150 hp. It would make one heck of a racer.
    If your interested I can look at this for you, it's only 10 miles away.

Wow Mike, Im excited!! Definitely keeping my eye on this thread.

If you are interested in a 3 cylinder geo metro engine. I have one that has been sitting for years. It ran when parked kinda thing. Not sure what it needs but I can double check that the engine will turn and is not frozen. If you want it and can can travel my way to get it you can have it free. As long as you take lots of pictures!

That would be very very cool Larry! Thanks very much for the offer! That's very generous of you. I don't know for sure what direction I'm headed in with the engine. A Metro would be about perfect, but if I can wrap my hands around a small turbo diesel, I may do that. It's a bit far off to make up my mind for certain.
    I dropped the body off at a plastic welder nearby today. He won't even be able to get to it until Monday of next week, but agreed that it's a little challenging. He likes the project, and one of his employees just kept smiling at the idea of it.

I got a nice frame from RI, updated with larger bearings, reinforced T-20mount, etc., and I'll have to lengthen it and figure out how to run chain to the back axle. Metal will be the fun part, I'm already sick of welding plastic, and the project is less than a week old.

~m

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    but if I can wrap my hands around a small turbo diesel, I may do that.
    your friendly scrap yard may have a reefer unit off a trailer; most of them have japanese 3 cylinders diesel engines inside the shiny cover.
    2008 MAX-IV 500T 30hp Bandolero

Mike, this project is soooooooo cool! I can't wait to see it in person........do you think you might have the tub done after next week? If you do, and you have some free time I'd love to come by and check it out. I know it's a little ways away, but what will you be using for tires on this beast? Can you imagine getting a hold of 8 Super Swamper Vampire ASXs?! That would definitely qualify for the ultimate 8x8 ever!!!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I'm not familiar with the IV's drivetrain/chain system, but am thinking about how little length it takes to create a lot of slack, or too tight chains due to axle spacing. I know on my argo which has no real chain adjustment, .050" difference in axle centers would cause a big problem with chain slack. My point is, you might want to get the frame done first to make sure the chain slack is where you want, then bolt the tubs on and join them. Or maybe make a template off the frame and then use it on the tubs while joining them.
    Last edited by Roger S; 11-17-2010 at 11:59 AM.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

If I could AFFORD eight Vampires, that would be a plausible option.... This build is going to force me to sell some stuff to fund it. I HOPE that the tub is done by mid next week. I pick the frame up this afternoon, and begin thinking about how I want to lengthen it...

Roger, I thought about the best way to go about axle spacing, and I basically came up with adding another 28"(ish), which is the axle spacing on the two back axles. This should let me keep the stock number of links on the "new" back end, and just fabricate a chain adjuster to go under the rear chain in some way (yet to be determined..... THIS Thomas Edison doesn't have his complete pile of junk, yet )

~m

+ Reply to Thread