riding in snow with tracks max iv 27hp

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: riding in snow with tracks max iv 27hp

riding in snow with tracks max iv 27hp

Just put 30 mile on my max in 2 to 3 feet of snow. I went to a friends camp that is in the Adirondack mountains in BlackBrook NY. The road had not been traveled by snowmobiles or vehicles of any kind. I had my rear rack on loaded with food and beverages and five gallons of water and was also towing an Otter sled 72" by 38" with 12"in sides. The sled was loaded with some wood and a Yamaha 2400 inverter generator, sleeping bags, snowshoes and skies. The ride in was 7 miles of uphill with few flat or downhill sections. The snow was slightly packy with a little crust on the surface but not enough to hold my 180 lb. body weight. I was also carrying a 230 lb. passenger. On the ride in the temp was about 13 degrees with 25 mph winds. The max powered up the hills at a high torque and low speed and kept a comfortable inside temperature. My 12 volt defroster wasn't quite good enough at these temps. Once we we there I removed the sled and back rack and had no trouble getting around. The ride out was easy after the trail was established max iv 27hp. with tracks.

I'm in climate similar to the one you describe.In my Max II I discovered that to keep the windshield defrosted in very low temperatures all you need with the comfortable inside temperature you describe is a 12 volt fan only blowing a large volume of air on the windshield.I have a 6 inch fan with the big "clothespin" mount on it and it can oscillate or be stationary.I put in on the passenger side and blow at an angle across the windshield I find stationary is better than oscillating.The windshield will stay crystal clear.Especially when wading snow the machine is working harder and making more heat up around the sticks and from the upper body tubes.I gave up on the 12 volt defroster long ago.I think I got my fan at the Walmart for $11.99.

Eldon, it was extremely cold and windy that day, It might be worth trying your suggestion before installing a aux. heater using the engine radiator. Thanks for the reply, I wrote this as a matter of fact on how well the machine performed in deep snow with the extra weight of the passenger and sled. I was surprised no one had anything to say about the max iv performance under these conditions.

I guess I didn't comment on the performance as I know very well how a Max will perform in snow.it was noteworthy that you mentioned low speed and high torque...the secret to traversing deep snow.Most will think full throttle........when it starts to bog it takes practice not to go to more throttle.Your Max performed superbly but then I knew it would. :-)

I wish you could have gotten some video of that trip, it would have been cool to see.

I was going to bring my daughter's hd video recorder for that purpose, however I forgot to take it. Next time I'll try to get some video.

What type of tracks were used on this excursion

+ Reply to Thread