MaxIV strange sounds??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MaxIV strange sounds??

MaxIV strange sounds??

I was wondering if anyone ever had any problems with a clicking or "clanking" sound coming from what sounds like the clutch wheel of a max IV. My belt seems to look ok on it, and the engine is running fine, but when the machine is driving it sounds like the clutch pulley is loose, but its not. Just seeing if anyone has ever encountered a problem like this. Any input would be great! Thanks

Could it be a chain link stuck & making a noise as it goes around the sprocket?

I would check the bearings a bad bearing can make those kind of noises

Quote Originally Posted by azz7772 View Post
    I would check the bearings a bad bearing can make those kind of noises
    I think you're right. I've had this issue and it turned out to be a bad inner bearing.

See if the sound happens more often when you're turning in one direction or the other.

If it's the bearing, give the guys at Buffalo Bearing a call and tell them you're working on a 6 wheeler and they'll take good care of you. (716) 874-1720. Many 6X6World members deal with them, and they're really great folks and give you really low prices for quality bearings.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Yes it sounds like it could be a bearing. Im not real knowledgable on the clutch though. Is there bearings inside the clucth wheel? Also whats the best way to take the belt off these machines? Do you have to pull the engine?

Secondary clutch worn out?

Thanks for all the prior help on my max IV guys! I have another question about the secondary clutch on my max IV. Im defintely not experienced with how these work, but I see my secondary has three shims that make it slide in and out. They are very worn and almost falling out. I don't think that it is engaging properly anymore, and that is why its is making loud clanking sounds. Could these small tiny triangle shims be causing this issue? The last person who owned it had put a bigger secondary on it, and he basically had to modify the belt to make it fit. How can I go about fixing this issue? Do I need to buy a whole new secondary? Can I call recreatives and how much are they approx? Thanks again in advance for all the help!
    Last edited by Mike; 05-25-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: merged two threads on the same topic

Quote Originally Posted by Mholtz View Post
    Thanks for all the prior help on my max IV guys! I have another question about the secondary clutch on my max IV. Im defintely not experienced with how these work, but I see my secondary has three shims that make it slide in and out. They are very worn and almost falling out. I don't think that it is engaging properly anymore, and that is why its is making loud clanking sounds. Could these small tiny triangle shims be causing this issue? The last person who owned it had put a bigger secondary on it, and he basically had to modify the belt to make it fit. How can I go about fixing this issue? Do I need to buy a whole new secondary? Can I call recreatives and how much are they approx? Thanks again in advance for all the help!
    You can rebuild it if you would like. Take a look at this: How to rebuilt a Constant Velocity Clutch

Mike thanks for the reply. I have removed the transmission and I am going to take the clutch wheel off. I don't understand how to rebuild the clutch myself. I can't even tell how to take the thing apart. Wondering if you know of any place I can get to rebuild it or purchase a new one. Also, there is a larger clutch on the machine, I have the old clutch that is smaller. Is there much advantage of having a bigger clutch as opposed to the smaller factory one?

a worn but still useable primary clutch will make a clank at idle. is the noise at idle, part throttle , turning right or left?
    Acta non verba

Sounds were at full speed mostly. I have pulled the clutch off and put the factory one back on. Have not got it all back together yet, but will soon and let you know my outcome. The clutch was definitely worn and broken inside, so I'm sure that was my problem.

+ Reply to Thread