Max rebuild

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max rebuild

Max rebuild

This past winter i finally got my first 6x6, ive always wanted one but have had no experince with them until now. i used the max as my primary ice fishing buggy most of the winter.(i felt i little better in the max than the quad due to the thin ice in MN this year). The first few weeks it was great went anywhere never got stuck a ounce. one night we were headed back up to the house from the river and the max busted threw the ice. no big deal it just swam right on threw and popped back up on the otherr side, until the 2nd time it went threw, this time the front tires caught the ice but wasnt able to pull the 2nd set of tires up leaveing the rear of the max under the water. i ran to the house and got the atv and pulled her to safty. that night i pulled the engine and trans, drained and let dry out. thats when the rebuild began, i pulled the frame and saw a bunch of broken welds, so i rewelded the whole frame, relized i had 2 bent axels, so i pulled them and fab 6 new ones, replaced all the bearings and scraped the bushings and went with an inner bearing also, made up some roller tensioners and new chains. all was going to plan until the oh160 decided no more. after a few weeks i decided the engine is finished, so i ended up buying a duromax 16. thats where im at now.
    thats my story, i just wanted to thank everyone on this site for helping me threw my rebuild threw previous threads.
    Thanks again
    Joe
    anyone who has droped in a duromax any advice would be most helpful.

Hi Joe, it sounds like you have the hard part of the rebuild behind you and once you get your new motor in you should have a very dependable Max. If you break through the ice next winter, you may want to try backing it back up on the ice since the engine is in the back of your Max. I know that's sometimes easier said than done. Good luck with your transplant.

Make sure you fab up a duct to take the hot air that comes off the head/cylinder to the outside of the tub.

Hey Joe, I have some Max II parts I'd be willing to trade you (and I could throw you some cash too if you would like) for the old Tecumseh that you took out of your Max.

It seems like the Duromax engine is quite popular for many AATV engine swaps, and from what I read, it has some pretty good reviews.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread