Project "Copperhead Springer"

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Project "Copperhead Springer"

Project "Copperhead Springer"

Project Copperhead is now under production. The donor is a early 90's Max II. This is a hollow axle chassis with pinned sprockets. We will be changing to splined axles and adding inboard ball bearings. There are variations of the Max ii chassis and I will document this conversion for those who want that snake like ride. Upgrades will also include engine modifications, roll cage and disc brakes.
    Whipper has been gracious to supply some of the production photos
    Attached Images
    Acta non verba

Cool, Mark. We were wondering what was going to be the next project coming out of Lockheed/Stobinski. Engine modifications??
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Excellent! Pretty soon there will be more of those springers outside AZ than inside!
    Banned

Whipper says this is 9 for his Springer kits.
    WFO Max 4 -AZ
    Whipper Spider Attex- AZ
    Whipper Scorpion Attex- AZ
    Whipper Godzilla Max 4- AZ
    Bridget Max 2 SS-AZ
    George Apache Attex-NY
    Lewis Orange Crush Attex - NC
    Aussie Max 2- Australia
    Whipper special project- AZ
    Jerseybigfoot Copperhead Max 2- NJ

As far as the engine mods the intent is to up the power to the Bandoler category which is about 30HP. Engine mods will be limited to maintain reliability and trail worthy. I plan to do this in house to keep the cost down. I will share info on the parts that go into the existing 18 B&S Vanguard. I would also like to hear from others as to what mods worked well. Right now we are improving the valve train with springs and keepers, replacing the cam, rods, pistons and starter.
    Acta non verba

Well, i was wondering when you were going to post up on this!!! Congrats! I know you will really enjoy this machine and it's ride. I look forward to watching #9 come on Board!!!!

Very exciting Jersey. I am sure this will be a well thought out and executed build. I will be on the edge of me seat watching this project. You mentioned trail riding. Do you plan on doing what the others refuse to do? Are you going to trailer this beast to busco and actually take her in the woods? Or is this build to take down on the arizona ride?
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Last edited by Model Citizen; 07-13-2016 at 07:57 PM.

Just for the record, my springer did go in the woods and I swam it on my first trip to Busco....way back in October, 2008.
    Banned

I can't wait to see this one come together. Please post lots of photos along the way.

Disassembled the Max 2 today to remove the frame for some upgrades from the hollow axle with the inboard bushing to new solid splined axles with inboard ball bearings. The existing axle bushings ride on an axle the that is supported on the 2 inner frame rails. The axle is held in place with 2 collars welded to the frame which have to be removed to install the new ball bearings. With a bit of imagination we came up with hole saw the fit nicely over the collar and powered it with a long extension on a small drill.

Acta non verba

+ Reply to Thread