Max 4 power

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max 4 power

Max 4 power

I have a max 4 was used as a hunting rig (Alaska) the unit made it in 30 miles of mud swamps, rivers but did not have enough power in climbing out of deep mud holes. My belt was not burning and the transmission oil did not smell burnt. My question to all you max owners is my transmission bands worn or is this max not rated for hard running with load. We had 1/2 a moose and camping gear coming out. The Argo on tracks did not have problems but had a low range transmission.

I like the max because it's easy to work on and tough as nails. I also was using jwheelz would pull 4 jwheelz had to remove center two would bog down in swamps. My magnum 20 engine did not seem to loose power.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Rollnj

More horse power would really help you as well as a red spring installed in the driven clutch. I pulled quite a load in and out moose hunting this year with my Max IV and it has the kohler 25hp command with red spring. I had no issues with power but really want to gear it down more. My geared down Max Buffalo has the 23hp kohler command and pulled a heavier load in and seemed to due it with ease due to low gearing. My two cents worth is that the 20hp kohler magnum is not enough power for a loaded Max IV and pulling a trailer unless you could gear it down. I'm working with Mark from 2d Max in Fairbanks to possibly gear down my Max IV beyond having the red spring in it. We also will look at hydraulic brakes. Try a red spring first and then go from there like going to a 13 tooth sprocket on the T-20 output shaft.

Is your drive belt tight enough? A little extra deflection in the belt will make the primary advance (prematurely) before the secondary.....this gives you the "wrong gear ratio".
    Read this: ATV and Snowmobile Belts - by Dayco

I have a MaxIV with a 16 briggs, and was amazed at how well that little motor climbed hills and such......granted, it wasn't loaded w/people, moose, or trailer.
    It is equipped with the red spring and belt is tensioned properly (big pain on the IV's). 25% more hp should do quite a bit more pulling, but lower gearing (13t T-20 sprockets) may be a good idea too.

If the bands in the T-20 were the problem, it wouldn't be bogging the motor. The motor would rev fine and the machine would go nowhere....much like a bad clutch in a car.
    Last edited by thebuggyman1; 09-29-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: spell check failed me

I think Jim is on the money, my Max4 went thru a similar issue and between a slipping belt and worn out clutch performed terribly compared to a friend's Argo. It was the 20hp Kohler as well, which is plenty torque. Check the belt, then the clutch, then the rear chains, and the problem should be easy to resolve.
    Maybe the design will be modified for future machine since Muddox has bought Recreatives.

The red spring on the clutch, and a 13 tooth output on the t20, will make this thing strong as all get out. More hp is always good, but the 20 is more than adequate.

I bought a body shim kit from Harbor Freight to use for adjusting belt tension. Loosen the engine bolts and use a wedge to get the belt tension you want. Slide the shims in and tighten the bolts.

All,

Thanks for the information will get it done. Also a hydraulic brake system would be a improvement.

Rollinj

Akranger72

You mentioned 13 tooth sprockets for t20 can they be bought or do I have to machine them. Machining is no problem have a hobby machine shop did not want to weld sprokets without stress releaving.

Also would like to improve brake set up could get in trouble with the none holding mechanical brakes. You mentioned a dealer in Fairbanks does he handle parts for max 4.

Thanks jacobsrf

Can anyone tell us how hard it is to change to the 13 tooth sprockets? And anyone who has done it tell us if it is worth doing?

Quote Originally Posted by jstout9 View Post
    Can anyone tell us how hard it is to change to the 13 tooth sprockets? And anyone who has done it tell us if it is worth doing?
    Just package the t20 up and ship it off to Whipper out in Arizona. He is very reasonable and quick.

I'm kind of a do it myself kinda guy. But Ive never had a t-20 apart that's why I was asking about the difficulty.

+ Reply to Thread