Adondo's Max II

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Adondo's Max II

I'm waiting for one last piece from eBay. It's a military aircraft surplus "press to test" indicator light with a machined knurled knob. The things cost about $60 new. I decided to replace the Schuck's Auto Supply (cheapo) power on light with a cool looking aircraft panel version. I have labeling done now, I had to buy a white lettering on black cartridge for my label maker, so that's done now, and looks good. I already have the new Ace round key switch to replace the intermittent one. I'm waiting on the light so I only have to pull the dash and remodel it once.

I've added a flag for sand dunes, as they're required and a good idea. The flag will be almost 9 feet off the ground on the 6x6.

I added an eye bolt so my dog can be harnessed in.

I still need to add a wooden runner to keep the storage box from migrating around. It tends to "walk" back and forth. The box itself weighs next to nothing - it's plastic, but holds a lot of stuff. It's nice for a day's ride to have lunch, coffee, coat, gloves, hat, too kit, camera stuff, drinking water, etc. along. It also makes a good seat to sit on while parked. Here's a shot of the box doing what it always does: turns somewhat sideways.

Jack's seat belt. The front is sheepskin padding.
    Last edited by Adondo; 11-13-2013 at 08:58 PM.
    "Sand is pavement to a 6x6!"

Someone's left a feather duster on your seat mate

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    Someone's left a feather duster on your seat mate
    Yes, he is a fluff ball alright. I'm always threatening to swish him around on the floors for use as a dust mop.

Got the rear light LED's last night. They're every bit as bright as the original bulbs, but with only about 1/10th the current draw. In fact, now, with the new LED headlights turning them on just barely moves the ammeter needle. I can just detect a little movement is all, so the entire current draw of the running lights is less then one of the original headlight bulbs.

The new taillight "bulb" in and the cover not reinstalled yet.

A closeup of one of the 9 watt PAR36 "bulbs" in the headlight ring.

Output is about the same as the original sealed beam 35W headlights, but only 18 watts total instead of 70 watts. The color temp is 3500 degrees K so they even look like the original bulbs when on. You can also get higher K such as 5000K for a whiter light. The total draw for the running lights is now only 19 watts (about 0.5W each for the rear lights) vs. the original 85 or so for bulbs in all fixtures. That leaves a lot more charging for the battery and/or power for other accessories.

I like the light up grade. these LEDs have come along way recently. I have some on my dirt bike for night rides and they are sweet.

Looks like your ready for some fun

Cute dog where do the batteries go?

Got the WWII surplus light Friday, then worked over the dash. Now, it's complete. Replaced that intermittent key switch too.

And, turned on. I can't figure out what the weird reflection is by the volt meter. I probably should've painted the dash panel with flat black instead of the gloss engine paint I had on hand. Oh well.

An edge view to better show the aircraft surplus "push to test" light.

I also drilled the dash and mounted a nifty eBay gimbal type pitch/tilt meter. It was only $6.49. I sawed the mounting base off, then used silicone to mount it.

And, the old "meep meep" horn from my Yamaha road/dirt bike. I'd replaced that with a "real" horn nabbed from my Jeep which was replaced with air horns. I wanted the bike to sound like a large sedan coming at someone, and it worked. (I used it to commute to work for a couple of summers before selling it) The "meep" horn is pretty loud mounted right there in the open.

I finished a piece of 2x2 pine with linseed oil and bolted it to the engine cover with stainless bolts. That now keeps the storage box from migrating around. So, it's ready for the sand dunes. All I need now is some decent weather. Now that it runs great and idles, (Rebuilt carb) I'll have to take it back out into the lagoon again, and get used to being on water. There are sand dunes at Moses Lake which includes sand islands in a huge reservoir and swamp areas. It's about 90 minutes drive away. I'm ready now!!

DUCT!!

Built a cool air intake duct over the weekend. It works nice too, running around the property, and leaves were sucked up against the outside grill, so it works. Now, hot air exits forcibly from the left side grill because the tub is now getting pressurized. Before, heat would more or less leak out everywhere. So far, I've been out playing in 40 degree temps, so having the engine rehash hot air in the hull hasn't been a problem.

The engine grill removed.

The lower piece sandwiched between the grill and engine shroud. The duct is flat 4x12. I fabricated an end cap from extra tin, and used 1/8" rivets. It looks crappy because I bent the edge by hammering over the edge of the bench. My kingdom for a sheet metal brake.

Upper piece made with length of 4x12 and 90 degree flat elbow. I used rivets everywhere to make it solid. I even used rivets on the snap together seam so it can't rattle apart.

The joint slips together, and in a normal job of running ducts in a house, it would be taped shut forever. In this case, it's held together with springs hooked to stainless steel P-clamps riveted to the duct. That way, it comes out fast and easy for servicing the rig when needed.

Notch cut in the side plastic, and a bungy holding it in place. The bungy hooks to P-clamps bolted in place. The bungy cord and springs allow movement and float of the duct between the engine and hull.

Relocated and redone starter solenoid. The wiring was crappy, the battery cable was more than halfway frayed apart. I had #2 welding cable left from the Jeep winch, so that's a new leader to the starter now. No more Mickey Mouse connections.

The duct against the right side vent grill. It moves a lot of air. The raw edge of the duct is covered with wiring split loom, then duct taped on.

One more photo. This was a test fit before the springs and bungy. The duct angles up at about 15 degrees toward the Max's side vent. The slip fit of the 90 degree elbow allows the tilting.

Oh yes, the local Les Schwab Tire store has a set of Carlisle AT101's on the way. New skins SOON!

Looking good! Your starter motor will be happier now too.

Joe.

New tires!! The local Les Schwab's prices amounted to about $15 more than ordering them online, and because I bought from them, no mounting charges. The machine had dry-rotted Goodyear Rawhides that were worn down to nubs.

I consider it 98% finished and ready for the trails/water now. The recently installed LED rear flood and marine nav lights makes it into a completely LED converted ride. All lights on, including the upper light bar that lights everything up front within a half mile takes less power than the original running lights. The small white light in the center is a marine stern light.

The port side marine navigation light.

The wooden rail that keeps the plastic storage locker box from migrating around. That crappy muffler cover is the last 2% of getting my little rebuild done. I'll have the local metal shop make a nice one with 3/16" aluminum diamond plate soon. I'm thinking of having it made with a double layer so the top surface isn't a frying pan. My cool air ducting helps that though, as the heat's blown out the port side vents now. ON EDIT: after looking at photos here and elsewhere on the 'net, I'm thinking someone made this nifty rear engine cover. It's fiberglass, and I'm not sure if it's a kit, or fabricated from something else. It's nice though, as the entire engine and T-20 can be accessed pretty easy.
    Last edited by Adondo; 12-05-2013 at 04:46 PM.

+ Reply to Thread