Adondo's Max II

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Adondo's Max II

Adondo's Max II

I decided to start a new thread so I can post photos etc. of bringing my new toy back to 100% again.

Last night, I yanked the carb. Having to work the throttle to keep it running just AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

Please pardon the crappy cellphone photos. I have Canon pro gear, so there isn't any excuse. (The phone was in my pocket, and I was too busy cleaning things up)

The carb removed, grease and grime mostly gone.

The Vanguard carb.

And another view.

It idles nice now. I forgot to buy a new fuel filter, and it's good for about two run-ups before starving out, so a new filter ASAP. There's still a tinge of varnish stink in the shop when I walk in. Stupid bad gas can sure cause grief.

Coming soon, a new dashboard, maybe even tonight or this weekend if I get in the mood. (The weather's going to be crap anyway, so why not redo the dash?) Consider this photo to be the "before" as the new one will have matching switches, volt gauge and hours meter.

Someone else with a bench like mine .............full of crap

I seem to work better like that

Did some work over the weekend. Sunday wasn't too bad of a day weather wise, so I took it out to test the carb rebuild and new dash. It runs great, starts easy, and IDLES now.

There's a place about 15 minutes away from the house, with big sand dunes. What used to be 5,000 acres (or more) has been reduced to maybe 100 acres with endless housing development. (This place is like Las Vegas Jr. - spreading out in every direction) There's also an irrigation pond at one end, so it's good for testing without driving a half hour to get there and unload. It still cracks me up with news stories about people's new houses with cracking Sheetrock and driveway concrete. I'm always yelling at the TV screen "It's because you built those cheap cracker boxes on top of sand dunes, you MORONS!!"

I thought it might be good on sand, but I had NO IDEA how good. I nosed up to a 75 foot tall dune to "see how far she'd go up" and it just climbed to the top with no problems. My mind was blown - I've been playing in sand for decades, and the norm is "balls to the wall" to climb a steep dune. I noticed afterwards that a Jeep (or some 4x4) and a motorcycle left several inch deep tracks. The 6x6 barely puts anything into the surface, mainly the chevron bars stripes on otherwise undisturbed sand. WOW! It was about as dry as sand can get, All day Saturday was 40 MPH continuous with gusts into the 60's. The news was full of blown away roofs and the like, so it dried the sand probably to over a foot deep. That test was worst case for dry and loose sand to say the least.

I played in the sand for about an hour, then hit the mud too. There's a 2 foot deep waterway that feeds the pond, and with the pudding mud on both sides, I'd be afraid to take my well equipped Jeep through it. Not a problem with the Max, and I stayed nice and clean too. But, you'all here know about that stuff. I'm still finding out what she'll do.

Here's the back end with a backup light added. I also got rid of those lousy clearance lights and put "pillow-block" style taillights.

The new dashboard. Tonight, I'll add my Garmin GPS bracket and power. Both the Jeep and car have the same units, so I can just rob one for the 6x6 when needed. The original key switch was stripped out and semi worn out, so I used one I had laying around. The red light's an on indicator, the white button is for a future horn. (Might wanna beep at something once in a while) The switch in the center is a start/run/stop switch. (Spring loaded) The other four are running lights, upper driving lights, (Soon to be an LED bar) backup lights, and I-don't-know-what yet.

I also removed the floor pan, inspected and lubed the chains, and because of an O.C.D. moment, adjusted the left steering lever. It was about 3/4" off from the right lever, so now they're even-steven.

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    Someone else with a bench like mine .............full of crap

I seem to work better like that
    Oh you think it looks bad with the carb there? You should see it now, after building the new dashboard. Tonight, I'm cleaning it up before doing ANYTHING else!

Awesome Job
    I have a 2000 Max II. would you be able to take pictures of your exhaust as that is exactly what I want to do with mine
    Thanks for any info

Larry

Did some more last night. Now, the GPS power and bracket's installed. I also added a cigarette lighter for charging the phone, spotlight, whatever. There's a blue lighted no smoking plug-in just to keep the socket clean. The GPS's 5 volt regulator cigar lighter plug is under the dash, with wires soldered onto the connector and heat-shrinked. That and the cigarette socket are off with the key, so no dead battery.

The two black things by the ammeter are the winch in/out buttons. The Garmin is in speedometer mode.

Panned back a bit, GPS in map mode. The Garmin clicks in/out of the bracket in seconds, so it's easy to steal one from the Jeep or car. I might just get another NUVI 1300 and leave it there, they're only about 40 bucks on eBay. I run screws through the suction cup bracket. I've done the same thing with both the Jeep and Chrysler 300 because the suction cups always let go at inopportune times. They're part of the dash when screwed down solid!

Here's some photos for garretttpe. The exhaust was done by whomever had it before, even before the guy I bought it from. It looks like the normal Briggs manifold, then it's capped and the muffler's inlet weld-tapped into the side of it.

And, a shot of the Vanguard with its rebuilt carb. I have to mention here that the choke cable was plastic crap, and I bought a new one. It was 6' long and not enough, so I installed it down on the left side in a vertical space next to the seat. It works good there as long as it doesn't get stepped on. I forgot to get a photo of it. That's why there's no choke knob on the dash anymore.

I think I've finally got the toy ready for the trails!

Last night, got the LED light bar installed. There's nothing quite like blasting 10,000 lumens of light forward!

The Totron 30 inch, single row, 120 watt combo spot/flood bar installed on the roll cage.

Looking towards it.

From behind it.

From the driver's seat. The neighbor's tree is 345 feet away. How do I know that? I was playing with a new range finder this summer. Notice my truck sitting on blocks in the front, it's easier to get the 6x6 on/off with the truck raised up in front.

The relocated choke. I had some engraved legends left over from a boat rebuild/overhaul a few years ago, so I used one for the bilge pump.

I really like the light bar.

Yeah, those things are mind blowing bright. Check 'em out: Totron Lights - LED Light Bars, LED Work Lights, HID Work Lights, HID Driving Lights, Off-road Lights

They're perfect for off-road machines because their current draw is low for the massive light they produce. It's also daylight white due to their broad spectrum. You can't miss animal hair or fur such as deer, racoons, house cats, etc. by the road, and halogens just don't bring them out. HID's are much the same way, you see things that are semi-invisible to "hot wire" bulbs.

Also check out their gallery page. Customer Photo Gallery of Totron Products The White Jeep is mine. (Bottom of the page) Notice the lit up Stonehenge too! It's a replica near Maryhill Washington. When I get some worthy pix, I'll submit the 6x6 to them for posting.

I have more LED's on the way. (Good ol' eBay) The taillights will be converted to LED and I have a set of PAR36 'bulbs' coming as well. That way, the running lights (head & tail) will only be around 2 amps verse 8 for original bulbs. It's not like there's a lot of alternator power available from a Vanguard.

Oh yeah, the stupid key switch I had laying around for years has gone intermittent. I have an Ace round key switch coming to replace it. (There's a virtual parade of stuff coming from eBay right now. ) If I mess with the key, the switch goes on/off, and I don't want to get stranded somewhere. (The fuel solenoid goes with it) The real irritation is I have to drill out the key switch hole now because the new switch is 3/4" instead of 1/2". The only 1/2" switches I could find are all in China, which can take a month to get.
    Last edited by Adondo; 11-07-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks for posting the exhaust pics for me. I am in Afghanistan and dont get on here to often or otherwise I would have responded with a thank you sooner. Awesome light bar I will be getting theses for sure.
    Again thank you for the pics
    Larry

+ Reply to Thread