Basic demensions of Max IV roll cage...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Basic demensions of Max IV roll cage...

Basic demensions of Max IV roll cage...

Hi. I would like to learn the basic demensions of the Max IV roll cage. Width, height and length.
    I think schedule 40 might be okay to use? Black iron pipe? Other suggestions?
    Thanks.

D.O.M. tubing will always be stronger than pipe. The wall thickness on pipe will be around .120" and is not precise. I used .095 DOM tubing for this one [IMG][/IMG]

And I used .083 DOM for the Attex [IMG][/IMG]

If you go too thin on the wall, it can dent and lose it's strength, Too thick and it weighs too much.
    The larger the spans, the stronger the tube should be ( bigger dia.,thicker wall).
    Diagonal bracing adds ALOT of strength, but can also be in the way for maint. etc.

Thank you for the info. My nephew said today he will help me weld up a proper
    rol cage this summer. He has his welding equipment in storage.
    BTW Akranger72 (Eric) sold me his Max IV. I will post about it soon..

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
    Thank you for the info. My nephew said today he will help me weld up a proper
    rol cage this summer. He has his welding equipment in storage.
    BTW Akranger72 (Eric) sold me his Max IV. I will post about it soon..

Schedule 40 is what the factory Recreatives cage is and it holds up fine in a rollover. I've seen it in action.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Otay. 40 it is. What I need is basic demensions like hoe high the uprights go.
    How wide at the top. How long front to back. This sort of thing. I want to make
    a roll cage simular to the factory cage. Thanks.

I'm keeping an eye on this topic because I want to build one too.

In my opinion, the factory cage is not tall enough to protect an adult male in the rear seat.....probably meant for kids.

You could probably find a good picture in the gallery and just scale the figures you need since you know the length and width of your machine already. I would recommend using at least .120 walled tubing with a full body band for a base.
    Although you could get away with using pipe. What type of bender do you have. Dies for pipe are different than tubing dies.

Rusty, nobody is jumping in here with measurements because it's just not that simple. The bends are less than 90 degrees (more like 80) so there is no way to measure the top.
    We could give you a height, but like I stated before, it's not high enough in the rear anyway. You could do better with your own design.
    Here's a pretty decent picture from the gallery.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks fdor the responces. A new friend who bought our Avenger this past summer
    says he has pipe bender stuff, and my nephew Adam is a welder (but his equipment is put away).
    Given this, I figure it won't be too differcult to make a roll cage. Copy the pics is a good
    idea. The height can be modified to protect tall people I suppose. I'm 5'3" the wife and inch more
    and the kids several more. Easy enough.

+ Reply to Thread