Finally got a Max IV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Finally got a Max IV

Finally got a Max IV

So after a year worth of searching I finally found a big wheeled Max. She has OHV 16 in her right now, but I am going to begin the search for a Bandolero to set her up right. The bearings, chains, axles and sprockets all appear to be in good shape.The tub has 1 very small ding about the size of a quarter that will be an easy fix. T20 appears to function well. I am going to do a full fluid change over the weekend. Cant wait for Ohio.20140224_200908.jpg

Congrats Pat. I'm glad you finally found one!
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Excellent!
    Banned

Congrats on new machine.

Good to hear your fleet is growing, Pat! Part out that Tecumseh and you'll make about $300-$400 on ebay.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Briggs 23 hp has been ordered. I got a really good price on it but it does not come with an exhaust system. I have been looking all over the net, but the few factory Briggs pipes for that engine either mount very high, like if your in the back seat in the back of your head high or face the wrong way. Lots of more choices for 18hp but they dont mount up. I saw alot of kits to make headers but looking at them, they seem like they would hang very far off the back if I install any sort of functional silencer. That and my welding skills are limited to small repairs, not anywhere near what would be required to weld up a nice header system. What setup are you guys running?

Pat,

This one would work for you. http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/MUF0460.html You'd just have to cut the two straight pipes and flip the muffler around so it exits out the back. Very easy for any muffler shop to do. Probably about a 10 minute job. Just make sure when they tack it back on, the exhaust is bolted onto the engine so the manifold flanges line up true. Once it's tacked, have them take it off and finish welding it all the way around and you're all set. You're going to LOVE that 23HP Vanguard!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

What's a good price for a 23 hp. I have a rebuilt 18 vanguard in my max4. I would like something bigger just not sure what.

20140313_204001.jpg20140313_203859.jpg20140313_203614.jpg20140313_203510.jpg
    So, I have made some good progress. The engine and T20 are out of the machine. Thenew Briggs 23hp came, as did the muffler and the new Comet 94c. I chose the 94 because of it ability to be tuned with the engine mods I have in mind. I figure with the cam, headwork and carb I can get to the ballpark of 35 to 40hp. The inside is just nasty. I have used a full can of PB already. Luckily the chains and bearings arejust full of grease and gunk, but are not rusty. The frame on the other hand needs a good blasting, maybe some gusset work and a coat of POR 15. I am racing to get this done by Ohio. I am debating whether or not to just really clean everything and risk throwing a bearing on the trip rather than rip everything a part and risk not having it ready. I just dont know.

Max IV build update

Been working on my baby almost every night for the last week. Thank god for kero heaters. All of the sprockets are thank fully spinning on the axles now. Both T20'S (my posicle stick and the one that came with the Max) have been drained, soaked, scrubbed, wire wheeled and are ready to be filled and adjusted. Thank you Don for the valuable info. Frame is almost completely stripped down and ready for gusset supports and a couple of small frame repairs. Nothing major, but at some point there was obviously an issue with a chain or sprocket and the frame was trimmed to access it. Then we are on to the POR 15. All new chains and bearings have been ordered. Buffalo Bearing loves me right now between the Wild Wolf and the Max. This was the first time I have ever seen hollow axles before. I will not be reusing these. Thankfully I have the 1.25 solid axles that were in the Chapparell that I pulled last year to take their place. The new 23 hp and Comet clutch are in the garage waiting to be installed. Actually found an engine cover on ebay and bought it. Needless to say budget has been completly blown, but my machine should be completely kick ass when done. Oh yeah...anyone want to buy a kidney?
    Last edited by Mike; 03-27-2014 at 09:41 PM. Reason: merged two threads on the same topic

+ Reply to Thread