electrical help please!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: electrical help please!

electrical help please!

My max 2 is down...Began only starting intermittently, now won't start at all. I had the battery tested, removed the starter/solenoid which tested good, however with the exciter wire removed from solenoid I get 12v when I turn the key-with exciter wire on solenoid my voltage drops to 1.5-2.5v? Bought a new ignition-nothing. Last night I bought a red and black section of 4ga. wire to start checking connections so that's the next step...any input would be GREATLY appreciated

Have you tried a wire from battery + to exciter terminal on solenoid, effectively removing starter switch etc from the system? I take it when you say it's not starting you actually mean the starter's not turning the engine over, IE, the starter's not working ?

check your grounds. I ran an extra large one from the engine to the battery, solved all my gremlins

I'll bet you are onto it Larry. Engine ground that is failing,no ground to starter. One lead of DC voltmeter on battery negative,other lead on starter terminal try starting and read voltage. Is voltage switching from solenoid to starter?

actually electricity flows out the negative side of a battery, not the positive side. Which is why they tell you to take off the ground before you work on something. Most people clean the fool out of the positive cables and neglect the ground cables. A good shiny and proper size ground will make a world of difference in an electrical system.

Thanks for all the input. I ran a ground from the starter mounting bolt to the neg. battery post and the kohler fired right up!! Thanks a lot you guys

This winter I had a similar problem on my Argo Avenger with a 25hp Kohler and, like Sophomore Slider, ran a ground wire directly to one of the mounting bolts on the starter and the problem went away. Starts up right away all of the time! Great advice. Thanks guys.

Last Oct when I was in the ditch with my Max II, Mel's Max IV would not start back up after I was pulled out. We spent another 30 mins trying to figure that out. I got it back here and ran I ground cable from the neg right to the ground stud on the engine mount for the wiring harness and it fired right up. Keep it grounded and clean and it cuts up half your problems.
    Hold My B..R and Watch This!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CBass View Post
    Last Oct when I was in the ditch with my Max II, Mel's Max IV would not start back up after I was pulled out. We spent another 30 mins trying to figure that out. I got it back here and ran I ground cable from the neg right to the ground stud on the engine mount for the wiring harness and it fired right up. Keep it grounded and clean and it cuts up half your problems.
    More like a Cavern. We'll have to remember to use the jumper cables as a ground to test on the trail.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    More like a Cavern. We'll have to remember to use the jumper cables as a ground to test on the trail.
    Yep, We hooked them up every which way but the way I have that gound run now.I have some stored in my lil box on the back now just in case. Talk about good times. Love the pic Jim
    Hold My B..R and Watch This!!!

+ Reply to Thread