Max iv rear fram sprocket clearance.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max iv rear fram sprocket clearance.

Max iv rear fram sprocket clearance.

Hi all. I have a question about the rear of the frame on a mid 80's Max IV. Does the frame have clearance bends for the rear sprockets? The back of my frame looked like it was bent (not by the factory, it was a hatchet job) to either clear a chain / sprocket jam or to allow the chain to move freely . I pounded them out and thought about it after the fact. It will really stink if I have to reshape the frame again. Thanks.

Pat, there is factory bends to clear the chain back there, and yes, they look pretty amateurish. Btw, I brought your tracks and tires home from my parents place today along with my racer. Time to start prepping for Ashtabula.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Thanks Drew. That's really good and bad news. Those bends were really crappy. Not clean like an Attex. The right side went up on the top rail as you would expect but the bottoms was all mangled and also bent up. You would expect a downward bend, again like an attex. Guess I am going to have to get it red again and pound it with the mallet.

A 12" crescent wrench works well for bending the frames back into shape. Just tighten the wrench on the steel and you can inch it along and make slow, easy bends. The 12" is usually enough, but you can put a cheater bar on it if needed. I've had to coax several Chief/Superchief frames back into shape after what looks like the chains balled up around the rear sprockets.

I "fixed" my frame too. I thought those bends looked way too ugly to have been factory. I'm glad to learn this before I powder coat the frame.

Thanks for the tip Mike. That is a great idea. I was trying to use a large metal clamp but couldnt get sufficient leverage. Could I trouble anyone to post a picture of the back of their Maxiv frame (specifically the clearance bends) so I can get an idea of what the geometry is? I would really appreciate it.

Did you ever the pix you asked for? I have my IV frame out after sandblasting and powder coating and would be happy to share pix.

Glad I read this thread because I thought the exact same thing about those bends in the frame. After getting it back from the powder coater the bends were way obvious and I was mad at myself for not fixing them beforehand. Needless to say I didn't fix them.

Quote Originally Posted by rickemd1 View Post
    Did you ever the pix you asked for? I have my IV frame out after sandblasting and powder coating and would be happy to share pix.

Glad I read this thread because I thought the exact same thing about those bends in the frame. After getting it back from the powder coater the bends were way obvious and I was mad at myself for not fixing them beforehand. Needless to say I didn't fix them.
    Please post a pic of these bends. I know nothing of them but would like to learn. Thanks.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
    Please post a pic of these bends. I know nothing of them but would like to learn. Thanks.
    If I could figure out how to upload the pics I'd be happy to share. Seems like I was able to upload pics before without using a URL. Or maybe not.

I just posted pictures of the frame bends on my Max IV in the gallery

+ Reply to Thread