why do my chains keep breaking

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: why do my chains keep breaking

Ok I have examined my machine and have found the problem -it was my sprockets being bad-The chain broke-got wrapped around the rear axle sprocket and frame and jammed into the metal frame-this I believe caused the front chain to brake get wrapped around the center sprocket then yanked the t20 down -anyway the chains all did brake at the master link.My plan is to buy new weld a hub sprockets and weld them to the old sprockets -using the old sprocket as a hub after cutting it down-Has anyone done this?-I dont want to sound like a hack but I just dont have the cash for new original max sprocket with hub assemblys-I will need to get 8 sprockets -I am going to add inner axle flange bearings also- Kicking myself for not doing this 2 years ago when I did the frame transplant and new outer bearings but I was in a big hurry to get it done and drive it-just to see if the project would work-I really would like to upgrade to #50 sprockets and chain but then I wonder if that might lead to the shear bolts in the axles breaking.-

Flippy:

We have all made the mistake of rushing a machine into service without restoring what we know we should have, I've learned my lesson several times over.

The upgrade to #50 shouldn't have an impact on the shear bolts, if anything it might improve the situation.

ok thanks for the help

HI can 50 chain be used all the way around on a max II this is all new to me .......ART

Quote Originally Posted by ART View Post
    HI can 50 chain be used all the way around on a max II this is all new to me .......ART
    Depends on how old of a machine. Early machines used #40 chain to the axles. And machines from around 1980 and newer used #50 from the tranny to the jackshaft (shaft above the center axles) then #60 from the jackshaft to the center axle and #50 again from center axles to front and rear of machine. Which is a very recommended upgrade to anyone with a very old machine. And from about 2000 and newer they switched to o-ring chains which were essentially #50 chain with o-rings and call530 chain

just an update,I bought 2" o.d. round tube with .25" i.d. and 3/8 wall thickness- I bought #50 sprockets and the #60 sprockets from surplus center- I made my own #50 sprocket assemblies very time consuming but I am saving money.When finished I will have all new sprockets,new inner axle bronze bushings and new #50 chain.How do I go about making new jackshaft with new sprockets? My jackshaft and t20 sprockets will be the only original 40 year old sprocketsThe jackshaft is 1.25 o.d. and .75 i.d The entire lenth of the jackshaft tube has a bronze bushing like the hollow axles-Is it possible to build a jackshaft with new sprockets or do I need to just buy one?

+ Reply to Thread