conversion kit to redesign the MAX IV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: conversion kit to redesign the MAX IV

Maxrules... Thank you. I wasn't aware the Buffalo used a lengthened MII frame.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

This is a reply that i got today from them:
    The kit was a frame addition to hold the T-20 correctly, the rear and center sprockets, 4 axles, clutchs were custom along with many other parts.
    Cooling system and exhaust was a big issue, see the photos that we still have on the web. I will mark the project "sold out' on the website.
    The kit needed to be part of regular production upgrade from the factory, as it was just too expensive/hard work to update completed machines.
    Its a shame, because the modified machines were really nice and drove so well.

I know I'm a bit late on this tread but im getting ready to redo the max 4 after the October Busco ride. I'm going to be relocating the t20 and dropping the engine down.. Not really worried about exaust, that's an easy fix.. Just tear it apart and make it better... Didn't mike do this to his max 4? ( if I remember correctly it was a prof job). Norm...

Quote Originally Posted by Normable1973 View Post
    I know I'm a bit late on this tread but im getting ready to redo the max 4 after the October Busco ride. I'm going to be relocating the t20 and dropping the engine down.. Not really worried about exaust, that's an easy fix.. Just tear it apart and make it better... Didn't mike do this to his max 4? ( if I remember correctly it was a prof job). Norm...
    I saw in a video his engine was behind his seat. Let us know how your conversion goes.

I like the idea of the conversion but gotta believe the engine and tranny are stacked for balance in the water. I fish out of mine a lot with two adults in the front seat and it floats so nice. I think that's why the front axel is further ahead as well. I go 240 and the girl friend..... Well better not say (lol). But it floats nice and level I'd like to see how one floats with the conversion, maybe not much difference. Should be more stable anyway.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone9 View Post
    I like the idea of the conversion but gotta believe the engine and tranny are stacked for balance in the water. I fish out of mine a lot with two adults in the front seat and it floats so nice. I think that's why the front axel is further ahead as well. I go 240 and the girl friend..... Well better not say (lol). But it floats nice and level I'd like to see how one floats with the conversion, maybe not much difference. Should be more stable anyway.
    You'll have to get together with LarryW and see side by side, I'd compare the Buff but can't see it with me in it.

Ha ha I'm sure you could find a driver Jim. Larry had really nice setup there. Kinda simple too.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone9 View Post

I know one thing richard did was to "center" the motor during the conversion process. When i go in deep water my max 4 will list to the left very easily compaired to leaning to the right, which takes a bit more effort. I still plan to do this conversion on my own since there is no kit for sale. I rarely take my max in the water so thats not a reason for me to do this. However, to get to the rear axles and chains....now there is a good reason to do it. I hate the idea of pulling the motor all the darn time to get to things that should have been better designed from the plant. If its a routine maintance item, it should be easy to access. I'm not a little guy so its pretty tough to fit into the smaller recesses to make adjustments and grease everything. I just ordered the conversion kit from adair argo (for all 6 axles) to go from factory bearings to the larger argo bearings. Thats gonna be fun. But its primarily being done because poor access to the rear axles leads to poor maintaince which inturn leads to premature bearing failure. So i figure if i beef them up and then get the above mentioned conversion built as soon as i can make time, it will all lead to a max thats much easier to work on and has stronger parts in the end.

Sounds like a major renovation. But it will be nice when you're all done. Hopefully you can post some pictures.

Yes, pictures. Very interesting stuff.

+ Reply to Thread