conversion kit to redesign the MAX IV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: conversion kit to redesign the MAX IV

conversion kit to redesign the MAX IV

I am looking for someone who can provide the dimensions needed to make the parts for the above mentioned kit that Richards used to sell. I had noticed several times that this kit was listed in the "project phase" on his website. It was never listed as being completed and ready for sale to the general public. So i got tired of waiting and sent an email asking for more information regarding the kit. The responce i got back was "we stopped making the kits already due to increased prices that drove off sales". I was also told that there were no left over kits available for sale, only "part" of the kits were laying around. I asked if the partial kits could be sold and i've gotten no responce back. So i'm relagated to the only other choice that he offered which was to find a kit thats being offered up for sale privately. Not to say thats not impossible, but considering he said they had only sold 12 kits i'd say my chances are poor at best of finding a kit for sale. So im asking if any owners of those 12 kits would be willing to give some detailed pictures, or better yet some actual dimensions of the kit so i can make it myself. Thanks for the help in this matter.

I discussed this kit with Richard @Richard's Relics several times. The main expense apparently was in the clutch assembly that rotated the opposite of what they typically do. I asked why they just didn't make a conversion kit like the Buffalo truck operates with and never got an answer back.

I think the person to pose this question now to is Matt O. since he owns what was R.I., I would think that because the hull and frame are virtually interchangeable between the Buff and the Max4 that it would not take much engineering to do this. I would imagine from a manufacturer's position it is better for them to just sell a Buffalo or a Max4.

I have always said it would be better to remake the Max4 into something similar to a Max 2 in set up. The strange engine cradle in the Max4 has always befuddled me. Or at least drop the engine down and also make an 8x8 version of a Max4.

Who knows what the future will hold. I still haven't seen much of the 29hp EFI Kohlers, but I know they are out there.

Understood. Hopefully Matt will see this and offer his opinion on the matter. This conversion would sure help us to maintain our vehicle without having to many aches and pains that would otherwise hinder our hobby. I like easy now that i've gotten older. To Matt: I'm sure i'm not the only one who wouldnt mind paying for a conversion that makes our max iv easier to work on...

To other members: please feel free to say if you would be willing to buy a kit like this. I'm sure if Matt see's how many he could sell it would make his decision much easier.

For those not in the know, can someone describe what this kit would do?

Does this conversion reposition the engine and trans so they are mot stacked over another at the rear? If so, it would make for easier adjustments to the trans chains, draining trans fluids, lower COG,etc.
    Given a decent price I would buy one. Split shifter, too.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
    It repositions the engine and trans so they are not stacked over another and gets it to only 4 chains. Iit would make for easier adjustments to the trans chains, draining trans fluids, lower COG,etc.
    It does all of this and more... Look at Richards site and click on "AATV News from around the world". Scroll down and view the pictures and then click on the three photo sets below the pictures. It also gives a complete discription of what it changes. I purposely did not post a link since i didnt want to step on anyones toes... Look it up
    Last edited by rcn11thacr; 07-09-2014 at 05:25 PM.

I once read that this is how the Buffalo Truck is set up. Is this true? The IV and BT have the same basic frame.
    If so, then the parts to modify the IV models would be available at RI/Mudd-Ox. Assuming they would sell the parts.
    Obviously this is abig undertaking, having to cut the tub for venting, creating screens for the.vents, ducting for intake/exhaust, etc. A proper cargo rack would need to be made, too.
    Indeed a complete conversion kit would be nice. Expensive I'd think. DIY would be cheaper.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
    DIY would be cheaper.
    True, as long as you have the skills and the time.

I once read that this is how the Buffalo Truck is set up
    I believe thats what Noel was talking about in post #2. However i do not believe everything is a direct bolt on process from the Buff.

Richard did have a great design for lowering the engine in the Max IV. I think the low volume of this market makes kits like that very hard to justify the cost to R&D then produce it. The Buffalo truck uses the Max IV's lower body but is not the same as this kit. The Buffalo basically uses the Max II frame extended to fit the IV's tub, which means it has that ridiculous jack shaft setup for the chains to drive the center axle. A correctly done Max IV or Buffalo would have the engine down low with the trans close to it, with a serpentine chain system that drives the middle and rear axle with a single chain, similar to how Attex did it 40 years ago. Then you still have plenty of back seat room in the Max IV and only four chains to adjust.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

+ Reply to Thread