1979 Max IV questions!!!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1979 Max IV questions!!!

Cool 1979 Max IV questions!!!

I just got a Recreative Industries Max 4 Serial number 6960 6x6. Its got a winch came with 3 full sets of tires. The tires it got on(stock). Another set of stock gel filled tires that are like 60 pounds each. and also some bigger tires i think 24" but not sure and also it came with tracks. Also came with roll cage and a kawasaki two stroke 440 motor which i believe makes about 38 ponys.
    My questions are as follow.
    1)I have a damaged hull in the front, previous owner did a half ass job and try to patch it with fiberglass. I'm thinking about taking the fiberglass out and actually welding in the plastic. I'm also missing the drain hole plugs.
    2)Did all of the 1979 max iv's came with the 440 engine? Its a pretty ballsy engine!
    3) what kind of hull do i have? poly or abs?
    4) what's its value. I paid 1700$ for the whole package but i have no idea what the actual value of it is! Its my first ever amphibious.
    The things runs great in land. Haven't tried it in water because of the missing hull hole plugs.
    Complete newbie and i hope nobody gets offended by what could possibly be stupid questions. Thanks in advance
    Attached Images

I think $1700 sounds like a pretty good deal. Where are you located? I have a Max IV body and frame I can sell. The lower tub is very nice, and the upper only has holes for stock accessories in it. I acquired the machine, and it wasn't complete enough to be worth putting back together. The hulls on all Max IV's are hdpe. I do not recall the exact engine options for that year, but they used several over the years. The RIM (predecessor to the IV) used a g50b in it. Then when it was the IV, they used the kawi 440a, the Tecumseh OH series, the kohler commands, the vanguard series Briggs, the Kohler Magnums, some some Kawasaki twin 4-stokes. And for your first question last, patch the hill by plastic welding, or get a new tub. Fiberglass on plastic doesn't hold up, and on hdpe is a joke. You can get caplugs on eBay or from Mudd-Ox(Max). They are cheap and considered disposable by many.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Thanks for the info. I thoght i had overpayed for mine, at least that's what my brother said. But you know how it is when you want something really bad. I've had a itch for one of these for a while now... Yesterday I took it around the block (bad idea driving on pavement i know) and it gets up pretty quick. I just need to fine tune the carb. Also since its running on a 12v system i'ma go ahead and put a gel battery and runs a stereo with 2 6x9s. I think ther'es a plastic welder in my town i'ma take it to to get the a patch done right. I don't see any other problems with the hull besides the crack in the front so i'ma try and fix my current one.
    I'm located in Oakland, California.

+ Reply to Thread