New max 4 laterals

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New max 4 laterals

Good Morning Norm, I was wondering what type of piping did you use on those laterals that you fabed up? I had asked on one of the other thread but really did not feel comfortable with the reply that was given. I am planning on doing the split shift mod and change the laterals from the transmission on up to the front and wanted to know what was the best piping to use for all the changes. If you can help with the type of piping,and size you used, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks and God Bless.
    Jerry

Hey jerry, I just used some 3/4" pipe for the lats, 1.25" for the bottoms and whatever fits nicely inside the 1.25" pipe. You can use many different combos as long as they work together. I finally got to really go for a good ride last night and I gotta say this thing is finally right. The lats are perfect in most all situations, you can also use your legs now that the backs of the lats are moved inward. With all of the changes I've done to this machine, I think I'm finally happy (that's scary).. Wait.. There is one problem, with the new engine setup the machine leans to the left while swimming. I need to add weight somewhere, just haven't figured out where yet.. Good luck.. Norm..
    Attached Images

Norm, I like that. I was concocting a bell crank deal but your rig is much better. Will put this on the winter project list.

nice job norm, looking forward to seeing it in person at busco !! johnboy va.

Norm. All IV's lean to the left in the water. The engine is offset to that side. The space next to the engine can be weighted with a cooler and some beer at the beginning of a ride to level it off. Be the end you will be leaning again, but it won't be as noticeable with the beer in you.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Hey Drew, is that what you meant when you said your wheeler was liquid cooled lol.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Quote Originally Posted by Normable1973 View Post
    Hey jerry, I just used some 3/4" pipe for the lats, 1.25" for the bottoms and whatever fits nicely inside the 1.25" pipe. You can use many different combos as long as they work together.
    I wouldn't (and didn't) use pipe. The problem is that pipe is spec'ed by ID and often has a bump inside where the seam is. I think you'd be better off using tube, which is spec'ed by OD and wall thickness. Using tube you can get sizes that fit inside each other much nicer than pipes do. For instance, a 3/4" tube will have a nice sliding fit into a 1" tube with .120 wall thickness. The closes thing with pipe would be a 1/2" pipe and a 3/4" pipe, and those don't slide into each other.

I'll try to post some photos and materials list, and dimensions for the new laterals I built. I'm just really swamped right now.

I guess I should have been more specific(not everyone is a fabricator), your right blk pipe has a seam bead and will not have a perfect fit, I just think everyone knows this stuff, that's why I said there are many different combos that will work. It's nice when you finish and everything is tight... Norm....

I didn't mean to get too pedantic about it. It seems that a lot of people don't get the difference between tube and pipe and if you don't fab stuff up semi regularly you might not really understand the difference between the long hollow stuff you can get at the plumbing aisle at Home Depot and some of the alternatives.

I also found that having some adjustable reamers was a big help in getting a good fit again after your welding has distorted the outer tube. I'm sorry to admit that I had to do some filing a couple of time before I was ready for the reamer.

+ Reply to Thread