Lack of turning power

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Lack of turning power

Oh and with the truck, to check if belt is wore try sliding back the engine (4 bolts on the engine block), if it gets better buy a belt.

I had problems turning when I first started driving too. I thoughy my Max wasn't running right or something wasn't adjusted properly. I jacked up my machine and got all 6 tires off the ground to observe what was happening. It all looked fine up in the air turning left & right, forwards and backwards. Watching it operate this way showed me that eveything was working as it should. But as everybody here already stated, there is a lot of stress on the machine when trying to turn from a standstill on dry pavement. You need to give it some gas to get it to spin this way.

Lack of speed and turning power part 2

So guys i think we finally found why in my previous post i listed there was lack of speed and turning power. So finally after i got the drive belt from mudd-ox thanks to Ed very nice and very helpful guy who shipped it internationally to me in 2 days only. So we installed the belt easily with out opening any part just by sliding it and twisting it on anyways i fired it up and when pressed full throttle it bearly moved so slow however when turning on tarmac amazingly even though so slow it turned fully but slowly. So i drove with the mechanic next to me and pointed out that its so slow. So we stopped and he removed the carburetor and noticed that one of the carburetor heads shot air out while the other was completely blocked. So he then opened the spark plug at the back of the kawaziki engine not the front and measured the pressure and was amazed that it only shot up to 30 percent while the other spark plug pressure shot up to 100 percent. He then opened the rocker seal and amazingly the right rocker arm was completely bent and stuck below. So now i will have to order new rocker arm and maybe a new piston. See the picks below i just dont understand what could have caused this.
    Attached Images

djgeiman Guest
    Well I am glad you got things figured out I had some problems myself Its a good feeling when at least you found the problem and can now know what to do to correct it GOOD LUCK
    Dave G.

SOLVED:::: Lack of turning power and speed

well guys Finally it has been solved... .You will remember from my previous post that i had purschased a used max iv and that as soon as i tried to drive it i noticed that the machine had no power no speed and could not turn on tarmac or concret. Many told me it could be the belt and some said that it was just that the max on concrete wouldnt turn that easly, however i still had my doubts because of seeing videos the max had enough power to turn in deep thick mudd and second it should be able to turn from a standing still point. many people told me to contact Argo adventures and max and order the belt since i couldnt find it anywhere. i called and Ed from Argo adventures and max was very helpfull and guided me to what belt i need and placed the order and shipped it fedex internationaly to me which i recieved in 3 days.we installed the belt and the mechanic drove it measuring the speed and to our sprise it was only doing 10 miles an hour, and since i am new to these 6x6 i though that was normal and so did the mechanic but again i called ed and asked him and he said it should do 25 to 30 mph.i gave up and was going to sell my max very cheap but i decided to call Ed again from Argo adventures and max i told ed my issue and told him i give up so he told me do this before you give up open the spark plugs on both the front end and the back end and measure the pressure and tell me.....so i told him the front spark plug pressure was giving me a 100 percent reading while the back spark plug was giving me 40 percent. Ed told me there must be a problem with either the carborator or the pistons. the mechanic opened the carborator and opened the steel plate concealing the rockerarms and suprisingly we found one of the rockers arms rod bent and the valve completly rusted. so he cleaned the valve and fixed the bent rod and called me in to test the max again after we fired it up and drove it again the max was slow. again i called my friend ed and asked him what should we do next he told me did you check all 4 rods and when i asked the mechanic he said no it only has 2 rods anyways ed told me there are another 2 rods located at the side exhaust which the mechanic didnt know about. so again the mechanic open the side rods and again to our suprise it was fully rusted and the second rod was also bent. so we repaired it and before we closed the engine ed adviced me to check the main jet A and main jet B fuel pipes,,,,,and we did again ed was right they where nearly blocked so we cleaned them up closed the engine and fired it up. Wooow that thing just jumped from the start and when turning from a stand still it was like a fan blade spinning .......Before i end this thread i would like to take a few moments to show my gratitude and to thank ED from Argo Adventures and Max if it wasnt for him i wouldnt have solved this issue. I honestly have called him over 20 times and every time he was so supportive and so helpfull and guided me in details on how to solve my issue and he also emailed me the engine manuals and pictures. Furthermore all my orders where shipped so fast. ED if you read this post thank you i really am greatfull that from thousands of miles away you helped me get this max back to its working condition... i now love my max and love the power it has. please see attached photoof some of the rusted valves. i dont know if i could attach a video to show you guys how it spins. anyways hope this helps some other people facing the same issue. By the way my engine is a 27.0 hp kawazaki.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Hack4Life; 08-22-2014 at 03:03 PM.

hey hack, good for you and congratulations ! we all know how frustrating it can be when somethings not working right and we can't figure it out. i know for myself, especially being a inventor , you want to give up but your intuition says try one more time. and when it work's we are glad we kept at it. now you will really enjoy the max even more. have fun and post a video when possible. thanks for sharing. johnboy va.

Regardless, you still should not turn from a stand-still on concrete, tarmac, pavement or any such surface. Doing this puts a lot of pressure on the drive system.
    Congratulations on getting you Max running.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

+ Reply to Thread