Lack of turning power

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lack of turning power

Lack of turning power

Hi guys as i mentioned previously i am new to 6x6 so anyways i purchased 2 max iv that where kept in a burn for over a year with out use and all the chains where rusted. Anyways i took it to a polaris repair shop and they greased them and flushed them with desil to get the rust out. Now here is my question since i am new to this and dont know how much power they should have i noticed that on concrete road or normal tarmac road when trying to turn fully from a stop to either left or right the max dose not turn a full 360 degree but rather a 60 degree and complete stops due to lack of power so i have to rev it up and then push on the left stick again and again keep repeating untill it turns a full 180 degree is that normal. Second one of them had the belt completly worn out that i know can cause lack of power but the one i tried to turn with the belt was new. The mechanic mentioned it could be the rust in chains and just needs a few drive hours to get them flexible again. Your help would be greatly appriciated
    Last edited by Hack4Life; 08-08-2014 at 05:47 PM.

When on concrete or tarmac the tires developes "tons" of friction. This makes the vehical differcult to turn.
    The answer... NEVER begin a turn from a stand-still. This puts a lot of stress on the dtive system. Instead, drive a few feet forward first then turn with more throttle.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Hi
    U must always be moving b4 stating a turn and I typically avoid hard surface .
    What are the tires u have fitted ??? Chevron tread is the easiest to turn .

tomo

Thanks a mill rusty just one last thing so your saying all max 6x6 are like that so my max iv is not lacking power because on a straight line on tarmac it flies. But can i know if it cant from the friction on tarmac how come it can pull it self from deep mud or thick gravel and sand. I mean ive seen videos on youtube of max iv being stuck sides ways between rocks and gravel and even thick grass but still left tires completely spin with out the right ones spinning and pulling it out of tight spots. Forgive me for all these questions but its qualified people like yourself that encourage us to move from 4x4 to 6x6. Much appriciated

Hi tomo thanks for the feed back it may sound dump but i again havent looked at the tires and dont know what they are but i am pretty sure they are the original ones that come with the 2007 model.

I attached a pic of both the buffalo and max iv that i bought maybe you can tell from the pic what the tires are. And would tracks fit these tires or do i need to change tires
    Attached Images

Just out of curiosity, what size engines are in your machines?

I am no expert, but those look like 26" tires and I think are probably the Rawhide III's that RI has been selling as upgrades for Max IV and Buffaloes for several years.

It could be that a 16hp engine will not turn those big tires on hard surfaces. Those are offroad machines anyway, so I wouldn't sweat it unless you start having turning problems when you are off road.
    tt

Hack4Life, you can get the Max to turn on concrete or asphalt but like everyone has previously stated you have to be moving before attempting a turn to reduce the grip or friction between the tires and surface. And I think that turning on surfaces like that puts a lot of stress on the drivetrain leading to premature failure of the gearbox, chains, sprockets, the whole works.

Regarding tracks for either machine, your tires look like 25" or 26" tires and as far as I know and from what I've seen a read you cannot put tracks on tires that large. The standard tire I believe is a 21" tire with the chevron tread. There's just not enough room even with wheel spacers to get tracks over the tires and between the tub. If there are tracks out there that fit that tire I would assume that you would have to extend the wheels/tires well beyond the body of the machine making it significantly wider and much less trail worthy. By the looks of the background in the pics though it doesn't seem as if that would be a concern for you.

If you look at the Max website Mudd-Ox you'll see that there are many tire size options they even have all the info you could want regarding their tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by akcrawler View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what size engines are in your machines?

I am no expert, but those look like 26" tires and I think are probably the Rawhide III's that RI has been selling as upgrades for Max IV and Buffaloes for several years.

It could be that a 16hp engine will not turn those big tires on hard surfaces. Those are offroad machines anyway, so I wouldn't sweat it unless you start having turning problems when you are off road.
    tt
    Aka the buffalo i havent yet checked the engine size however the max iv has a Kawasaki 27.0 engine

You have 26" terra tires. These tires swim great (the best), they are good in mud and overall an excellent tire, it's my favorite and are on my max 4. I just installed a 27hp kohler command pro and it has more than enough power, but on asphalt and surfaces like that you want to gradually turn, never from a stop. You are gonna love that max 4 with the 27, even better when you get it in a pond.. Let us know. Norm.. Here's mine.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Normable1973 View Post
    You have 26" terra tires. These tires swim great (the best), they are good in mud and overall an excellent tire, it's my favorite and are on my max 4. I just installed a 27hp kohler command pro and it has more than enough power, but on asphalt and surfaces like that you want to gradually turn, never from a stop. You are gonna love that max 4 with the 27, even better when you get it in a pond.. Let us know. Norm.. Here's mine.
    Love the pic Normable and thank you for your input. so today i took the buffalo out to the dessert and i was supprised because it seemed like it still didnt have enough power because i would be driving in deep sand and found difficulty while turning again also i was supprised that when i came up to a small sandy hill thick sand it reached half way and then stopped when reaching an incline the tires just stoped spining and it kepet reving. i dont know if thats normal again because of the thick sand but i have seen videos in youtube of thick mud and stony hills and still the max goes up them and still the tires keep moving. any input would be greatly appriciated.
    mau

Quote Originally Posted by Hack4Life View Post
    Love the pic Normable and thank you for your input. so today i took the buffalo out to the dessert and i was supprised because it seemed like it still didnt have enough power because i would be driving in deep sand and found difficulty while turning again also i was supprised that when i came up to a small sandy hill thick sand it reached half way and then stopped when reaching an incline the tires just stoped spining and it kepet reving. i dont know if thats normal again because of the thick sand but i have seen videos in youtube of thick mud and stony hills and still the max goes up them and still the tires keep moving. any input would be greatly appriciated.
    mau

Being as you are new to these vehicles, are you pushing forward on the sticks or relying on the spring pressure to drive machine?

The t-20 machines need forward pressure to drive forward and rearward pressure to back up, hopefully this is the problem. If not you may have belt, clutch or band adjustment issues.

+ Reply to Thread