Axle and Bearing replacement (center axle)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Axle and Bearing replacement (center axle)

Axle and Bearing replacement (center axle)

Hey guys, I have an old Max II model number is 5036, im replacing the center axle on the right side cause it broke, ill upload a picture to show you.
    when I was removing the axle on the right side and I had gotten it out, I thought I should probably check all the axles and bearings. all seemed good until I checked the center axle on the left side. it was really sloppy due to the copper or brass bushing on the end of the axle on the frame. So I removed the axle (keep in mind ive watched the video from the how to section) apon removing axle I noticed the locking collar was on the inside on the tub not the outside like the rest of the axles AND the other center axle. So my first question is, where is the locking collar "supposed" to go?
    second question is, how do I replace the bushing on the end of the shaft? Do I have to lathe it out? if I have to lathe them out, where can I take it???

Also something to keep in mind, since this is an old rig im actually the second owner, the owner before me updated the axles, sprokets, and chains so ive got the 5 lug axles.

Thanks for reading and thank you for taking the time to help me out in advance
    Attached Images
    Last edited by MIKEAB1; 08-19-2014 at 01:13 PM.

djgeiman Guest
    Mike,
    I have a 94 max iv the locking collars for the outer bearings go on the outside of tub mine has bearings on the inside also they are the same as the outer bearings.I do not know what the bushing is on the shaft my axles are solid.If you need machine work done pretty much any local machine shop can handle that check them out first to make sure they are reputable.thats all I have maybe a call to Recreatives Ind or Richards Relics they can help you I am sure.one of the other guys on here with more knowledge will get back to they are pretty busy on here with questions but they will help you there is a bunch of GREAT people on here.
    GOOD LUCK,Dave G.

Thanks for the reply!!
    Mine is an old model, so I do not have an inner bearing. The axle rides on a stationary shaft (that's where the bushing comes into play).
    I think ill have to give Richards Relics a call and see if they have any insight.
    Thanks!!! -Mike

You can either cut the bushing with a chisel or use a die grinder and pry it out to remove it, or if you have access try a flywheel pilot bearing puller.

Well, I got everything done. Ive got a new axle, and two new bearings ready for install. I also got a bushing installed into the axle that needed one.
    I just used a seal pulled and a hammer, and then I used a chisel to pop the rest out. I also took my flanges and wire brushed them clean to almost looking chrome and then painted them.
    Ill take a pic of everything once ive installed them. Im going on a fishing trip tonight so ill put everything back together once I get back in a week.
    Thanks for all the help!!

+ Reply to Thread