Max IV drivetrain issues

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max IV drivetrain issues

Max IV drivetrain issues

Hello everyone
    I purchased a used max IV about a week ago and have been enjoying it thoroughly. Today as I was messing around in the yard with my son and we made a quick stop, as to avoid running through a fence, and the rear tires lifted off the ground. After the 6x6 was running fine but when I stopped I could not get the transmission shifter out of forward. I still had power to the transmission and was able to still operate both left and right but was still unable to get the transmission out of forward. I did notice that I seemed to have an intermittent loss of power while driving but the engine was running fine. Upon inspection I didn't notice anything broken but did notice a little ATF fluid by the top fill plug on the transmission. I'm looking for a little help on trouble shooting the problem. Thanks in advance.

I've seen many people have this problem, myself being one, it could be your linkage adjustments.pull back and check both linkage rods, it shouldn't be a big deal... Norm..

Are you aware of and did you perform the t-20 shuffle while attempting to shift?
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

I did perform the T20 shuffle as the previous owner advised me that it was normal operation to have to rock a little to get the transmission to engage. This time it was to no avail as it is stuck solid in forward.

I've seen this happen to someone on the trail. We tried all kinds of things to get it to shift into neutral or reverse and it just wouldn't move. We removed the diamond shifter from the T20, shifted the transmission manually with a screwdriver in the hole where the diamond shifter goes and then reinstalled the diamond shifter and the linkage. After that, it shifted fine. I don't know if the shift collar got stuck or the linkage but that solved it on this particular machine.

I'm thinking the upper keepers for the diamond shifters are bent a little allowing for the diamonds to wobble, had this issue myself.

Thanks for all the advice, I did a little more research and with a little squirt of wd40 the transmission is shifting smooth as silk.

Quote Originally Posted by kevans649 View Post
    Thanks for all the advice, I did a little more research and with a little squirt of wd40 the transmission is shifting smooth as silk.
    That happens a lot. Cleaning the top of the shifters and then squirting some lube can do wonders sometimes.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Its happened to me as well. WD 40 saturation eventually got it going, once the machine was home found a lot of grunge around the seals.

+ Reply to Thread