Max bearing retainers don't hold

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max bearing retainers don't hold

Max bearing retainers don't hold

Ok so I can't figure out why the right front axle bearing concentric collars, both inboard and outboard keep coming loose on my Max IV. I only have about 2 hours of total ride time on the machine since the rebuild and this is the 3rd time both collars have come loose allowing the axle to slide outward about an inch. I figured after the first time it happened I might not have secured the collars and set screws properly. Ok so I put everything back together and rode it about an hour with no apparent problems. I get home to clean up the machine and check the chains and find that both collars have come loose again and the axle has slid outboard the same amount (2nd time). So for the third time I tighten the collars and set screws. Today I ride it for about 10 minutes and check the collars and find that they are again loose and the axles has slid out (4th time).

So I defer to all you Max folks out there to help me solve this mystery. I'm sure that someone has encountered this before. Help me out.

Specifics, the solid axles are original as far as I know and are on a '95 model. The following are new; bearings/collars are matching sets, flanges and hardware. No issues with loosening of any other flanges on the machine.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

hi
    Try tensioning the collars in either direction first clockwise and if that does not work CCW [counter clockwise]
    Do u tension the collars with a punch and hammer ??
    Assuming u use Locktight 243 [blue] on the grub screws
    Not familiar but do your axles have retaining bolts ??
    Is the axle walking in and out ??
    Is the axle bent a very small amount ??

tomo

rick, i have had problems with one of my axles sliding and also a sprocket sliding on the axle. i solved the problem easy by buying some 2 piece shaft collars the size of the axle and clamping them at the right position. they have worked well for me. look online under mcmaster -carr supply. make sure they are the 2 piece collar then you can install them without removing the axle , etc. some places they are a little tough to get your hands in there to work, so i got the female thread side of the collar in place using a long piece of narrow tape, pulled it up against the axle, then put the other side of the collar on with the alle n screws and screwed them in. then slide the collar in place and tighten. hope this helps. johnboy va.

I would second Tomo's solution. If the axle is on the left side, use a punch and lock the collars clockwise. That way the rotation of the axle going forward will tighten the collars. If the axle is on the right side, lock the collars counterclockwise.

The right front axle that has both collars working loose. I didn't think initially about whether or not to tighten the collars CCW or CW, but since I have tightened them three times now I'm 100% sure that I've tightened them CCW each time and I have used blue thread locking compound each time. I guess what I'll do is try tightening the collars CW and see what happens.

I don't think the axle is bent but it didn't put a dial indicator on them to check the true I just rolled them slowly on my metal bench and they looked true. The 2 piece locking collar would work on the outer collar, not sure if there's room on the inside but it sounds like a good idea. The axle is working outboard about 3/4" each time. The axles are the solid round unsplined variety with a retaining bolt in the sprocket.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys I'll let you know what the cure is.

Ok so why I didn't figure this out before I have no idea, but the locking collars should be tightened with the drift, in the direction of rotation. Yea, my loosening locking collar issue has been resolved by tightening the right side axle collars in a clockwise direction. I don't know what direction I tightened the left axle collars but none of them have come loose. Assuming direction of rotation like Mike said above is the key to the collars holding, the left side would be tightened counter clockwise and the right side clockwise.

Thanks again for the advice to all replies above.

Quote Originally Posted by rickemd1 View Post
    Ok so why I didn't figure this out before I have no idea, but the locking collars should be tightened with the drift, in the direction of rotation.
    You really would want to tighten the locking collars in the opposite direction of rotation. If the right axle is spinning clockwise when looking at the wheel end of the axle, you should tighten the collar counterclockwise. That way the spinning of the axle is always tightening the locking collar. Think if something hits the locking collar, it will tend to stop the locking collars rotation while the axle keeps spinning. When that happens, you want the collar to already be tight in that direction so that it doesn't loosen up.

As to why tightening the collars the opposite way worked for you, they should work either way. Sometimes the collars seem to be locked but they can be too far away from the bearing to where it allows them to easily be broken free. To avoid this, some collars require you to almost hold pressure against them and the bearing while tightening the collar.

Most of the time it really doesn't matter which way they are locked. They should work fine both ways. Currently I have all of mine locked clockwise regardless of which side they are on.

+ Reply to Thread