Automotive muffler for maxiv

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Automotive muffler for maxiv

Quote Originally Posted by Dozerlarry View Post
    great idea on the floorboards! I'd actually thought of getting some aluminum sheet and doing what you're talking about. Fiberglass would probably be better but I don't have any experience at molding the stuff. If you do all this I think you will have really cut the noise level a lot. Probably could sell a few of the upgraded floorboards also. I'm working out from Titusville here for a week or two. I was going to see about coming by and see your rig when I go back home if it isn't real late at night when I come through.
    Larry, i'll send you a pm with my # so you can call/text me if you get time to come by.

I am still conflicted on what material to use for the flooring. Pipe dream would be to use a thick Lexan type material that can be see-through. It is always a pain to see a problem after the fact with the factory floor boards hiding things. If the material was see through you could keep an eye on things easily, such as a worn/wobbling part, etc.. Tasks like greasing the chains could be as simple as drilling a hole in the floor for inserting a spray can (whatever that red extension is called on a spray can) and just spray on-the-fly until you see it has covered the chains properly. A few holes in particular places would make this task doable by an extra occupant while the driver drives back and forward in the yard. No need for a ramp or jack to raise the machine. The reality is whatever I use it needs to be as light weight as possible. If I go too heavy (and use the thickness of an item to help control noise) I end up compromising the payload I’m capable of having. That’s not an enormous problem for me but it's something to consider and keep in mind. If I do a see-through floor the chains will sling up oil decreasing visibility. That can be resolved by an occasional cleaning regimen. I have other options but in reality my pipe dream option is what I really want. My idea of a new floor would help with noise but it also would greatly reduce the sand/dirt, and foliage that would enter the tub. Since I operate in Osceola National Forest I’ve got swamp conditions combined with tight ground cover that can be very tall to overcome. My tracked max has no problems getting around in this stuff, but every broken leaf, stick, bug, and anything else that’s floating around as I move around gets deposited right in the tub. We all know that just adds to the cleanup time and it can also add more unforeseen problems to an already maintenance heavy atv. Any ideas from anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by rcn11thacr View Post
    Do you know what type muffler that is?
    It came stock in 2004 on the buffalo truck 27hp kohler command pro.... Norm

Ok, if thats stock...it certainly is larger than the factory one on my max. Now just need to find that right for me muffler.

Quote Originally Posted by rcn11thacr View Post
    Larry, i'll send you a pm with my # so you can call/text me if you get time to come by.
    Got it, thanx!

hi
    99% mower mufflers donot have any sound absorbing material . Quality sound absorbing material used by oem can be expensive if available
    Very thin single layer steel casing material -transmits noise easily
    There physical size is small --reducing sound absorbtion capalbilities
    99 mower mufflers are an exhaust redirection device
    twin and triple noise dampening chambers as per auto industry mufflers do not exist on mowers etc

An 1 1/2 inlet/outlet triple pass auto muffler sounds ideal
    Intake noise and cooling fan noise will still exist
    Fit noise reducing products to engine cover

A heavy wall /barrier is highly recommended to help noise reduction . A light weight barrier vibrates therefore transmiting noise .

Noise pollution is hard to remove and requires a multi situation approach .Sound studio construction and generator noise reduction is a prime example of this subjet and how challenging it can be .

tomo

Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    hi
    99% mower mufflers donot have any sound absorbing material . Quality sound absorbing material used by oem can be expensive if available
    Very thin single layer steel casing material -transmits noise easily
    There physical size is small --reducing sound absorbtion capalbilities
    99 mower mufflers are an exhaust redirection device
    twin and triple noise dampening chambers as per auto industry mufflers do not exist on mowers etc

An 1 1/2 inlet/outlet triple pass auto muffler sounds ideal
    Intake noise and cooling fan noise will still exist
    Fit noise reducing products to engine cover

A heavy wall /barrier is highly recommended to help noise reduction . A light weight barrier vibrates therefore transmiting noise .

Noise pollution is hard to remove and requires a multi situation approach .Sound studio construction and generator noise reduction is a prime example of this subjet and how challenging it can be .

tomo
    Agreed. I may have to build a "suppressor" muffler for my max. I hope the ATF doesnt want me to register it and fill out a form 4 for a tax stamp
    Just making a joke government guys

I sent off information letters to two lexan plastic companies last night, looking for opinions on their products for my floor project. Hope to hear back from them soon

HI,
    The easiest solution would be to use that dynomat stuck to the underside of the original floor pan.
    Overlap the edges and if required use aluminum plate as trimming to take up gaps etc
    The benefits would include
    cost effective
    easy install
    the total weight would be greater than another style of plastic---------- weight = sound absorbtion
    APPLY 2 LAYERS IF NEEDED
    The alloy sheet side is oil proof -easy to clean

tomo

Has anyone tried the add-on mufflers that being sold for four wheelers?

+ Reply to Thread