Automotive muffler for maxiv

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Automotive muffler for maxiv

Quote Originally Posted by akcrawler View Post
    Has anyone tried the add-on mufflers that being sold for four wheelers?
    Do you have a link to share?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    HI,
    The easiest solution would be to use that dynomat stuck to the underside of the original floor pan.
    Overlap the edges and if required use aluminum plate as trimming to take up gaps etc
    The benefits would include
    cost effective
    easy install
    the total weight would be greater than another style of plastic---------- weight = sound absorbtion
    APPLY 2 LAYERS IF NEEDED
    The alloy sheet side is oil proof -easy to clean

tomo
    This would certainly be the most cost effective, however it eleminates the main goal that i want to attain with this transformation. The ability to visually see whats going on in real time down below my feet is something i feel is important. We know parts fail on these machines, most often due to lack of maintaniance. IMHO, two things happen if one can see through the floor; a) it helps remind us that we should check the moving parts more often, b) it allows a person to see when the chains get "dry" and need attention. I really like the idea of being able to have "spray holes" drilled through the see through floor. This will allow me more control over knowing the chains have been well greased. If i find out that the clear floor is too much cost or hassle, i may go to the effort to have a built in "oiler" lines that are positioned to oil the chains. It would not take that much effort to have a small electrical pressurized unit that is switch/push button activated on the dash. This would again give me the ability to oil the chains without jacking up the machine. If i choose to go this route i'll still look into some sort of lexan slotted window in the floor so i can visually verify that everything is getting oiled. I know this stuff is a tinkerers way of doing things, but thats what i am. I like to tinker and make things easier when ever i can. Talking about it here kinda gives me an outlet and a place to express ideas that someone (hopefully) may point out will flop, or say wow thats a cool idea that has a place in our hobby and can be of use.

maybe there talking about this....

Stealth Exhaust - Kolpin Powersports

hi
    rcn11thacr
    Did not realize u r such a tinkerer and the clear floor is such a high priority .
    I was taking the practical route .[FYI removing floors to grease/lube either every trip or every second is a good idea ,allows u to check chain tension and inspect tensioners . U need to roll or jack up one end of 6x6 to get the slack side of chain to happen, then check amount of slack ]
    By jacking and checking tension every second or third ride also allows u to check sprocket to keyway slop [freeplay] or if using sprocket tube drive bolts for shearing or excessive wear in bolt,axle tube .

814cannob
    An attachment so small typical only achieves noise reduction by being restrictive . A large enough outer body size of a muffler will have a large amount of sound absorbing material, this is the key factor.

tomo
    Last edited by Tomo; 09-18-2014 at 12:01 AM.

Before every real ride I take a min and remove floor, check and lube chains ECT.... It's soooo easy for piece of mind... Norm

The Kolpin stealth exhaust was exactly what I was thinking. I understand what you are saying, tomo. I am sure it would not be as good as a full-blown automotive muffler, but it should help a little. It is supposed to cause very little backpressure. I have not seen one in person and have not dug into it enough to go find a cut-away drawing to see how it works.

I was just wondering if anyone had tried it.

An old thread but to share an idea, If you want to see the chains you simply could add lexan windows to the existing floor. I think they would get too dirty rather quickly to see though but if you want to see through the floor...

I am more interested in the muffler/quiet it down aspect.

Well, since you brought it up... thats what i did during the interim. I used the lexan and added it to my floor. As for the muffler, i havent done anything with it so far. I got side tracked with a golf cart build. ezgo with a 300 suzuki 4x4 drivetrain with the factory hi, low, and "super" low gear . been busy workin on that for awhile

Yes, i like to tinker...

I like the little UTVs / golf cars as well. Post up a pic of what you have.

Perhaps a golf cart thread I'm game

Nothing more quiet than a 4 cycle EZGO golf cart muffler, pricey but handles 18hp just fine. the EZGO workhorse came from the factory with a 16hp Vanguard.

+ Reply to Thread