why not use leaf springs?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: why not use leaf springs?

why not use leaf springs?

I am reading all of the springer suspension posts and I am impressed with the work.One thing I wonder is why the use of independant suspensions?I understand it is better but the cost and materiel is more than using a simply leaf spring set up.Our machines are skid steer and control arms and independant suspension has always been used for steering axles spindles etc.I have not designed anything yet hut it seems a flanged bearing could be mounted to an outer axle attached to the machines inner axle with a u joint then the bearing mounted to an individual leaf spring mounted to a bracket attached to the side of the machine.I am thinking of making my machine a springer while I have it torn apart for sprockets and bearing upgrade from#40 to #50 chain.leaf spring suspension has been around since roman chariots and stage coaches it seems like it could be a simple suspension solution for our machines at a reasonable cost.Any thoughts on this?

Flippy:
    I have thought the same thing for years. Independent suspensions are great and smooth riding but I agree its overkill for an amphibious atv. A simple buggy spring was more than adequate for automobiles even now in production so why not utilize the same concept mounted to the outer bearing extension? The bearing extension comes standard on several machines, so a steel or fiberglass spring could easily be added, especially for a machine with tracks.
    I am also working on an air suspension for the seat assembly using a system design for ZTR mower seats.
    Maybe we should build a machine or two to show the manufacturers how to do it. It could be a neat trick to smooth out the bone jarring ride.

didn't I read on here somewhere that when you spring them they don't float right anymore? If it didn't affect the water performance I'd sure be interested in some springs on mine.

thanks for the reply,I am glad to realize that I am not the only person thinking their has got to be a simpler way .I for one am sick of the bone jarring ride and anything is worth trying.A pillow plock bearing with the axle shaft going through a small axle tube mounted either over a leaf spring or under,I am a former jeep cj owner of the cj8 cj5 cj7 and I have seen and done so many differen suspension mods that it is mind boggling.Maybe I can fab something up one day,it might be redneck or homemade but if its an improvement and works than why not? I know their are people smarter than me that could figure something out,I am always on a budget so it leaves a lot of time to think and imagine or come up with idea's because thoughts are free!

floating is not a big concern for me,after going down a canal and seeing how slow it was and then the fact of seeweed and cattails and phragmites stopping me from forward movement,then the tub bottoming out going up the muddy embankment and getting stuck I have just decided to like my 6x6 for the fact it keeps me dry and clean from the mud wnd is likeca tank on land,I have decided to just use my boat in water .I dont think leaf springs will change a thing in deep mud or water logged trails,the springs could even be mounted as high as the body tub band and with the right lift blocks you could have unlimited travel,Of course i could care less about floating I just want some suspension and maybe 3 or 4 extra inches of ground clearance .

It has already been done, (40 years ago) I know of two machines with leaf spring suspensions. One is a RIM racer and the other a Gotcha.

are there pictures somewhere?I would like to see how it was done I cant seem to find any.

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    are there pictures somewhere?I would like to see how it was done I cant seem to find any.
    The RIM racer may be at Ashtabula this weekend. Maybe someone who is there can snap a picture for you.

Keith

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

in 40 years only 2 machines have been known to be leaf spring conversions? Brand new 20 inch length 3 pack leaf springs with 850 pound rating are only $22 each,It seems the 1 1/4" keyed u joints at $53 a piece and needing 2 per axle seems to be the expensive parts,Maybe it just is not worth it.Maybe a trip to the u pull it yard to look at some small fwd cars probably cheaper to just sawzall a whole suspension off not sure yet.

Here is a shot of my Gotcha springer.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread