Max IV steers easier than my max II???

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max IV steers easier than my max II???

Max IV steers easier than my max II???

Hey all, a couple weeks ago, I brought my max II out to my friends property, and he fell in love with it. Since then he picked up a max IV. I drove it yesterday and was really amazed at how easy it was to steer. My max II, enable to steer it, you really have to throttle and jerk it. On the max IV, I was able to gradually steer it around without having one side tear up the ground. I just barely moved one of the laterals, and it would slow one side or the other down enough for it to move to one side or the other. My dad told me when I first got mine, that's it's easier on the chains and trans to jerk it when steering. He says gradual steering puts too much strain on the components ( wondering if that is true)

Of course this max IV he got was freshly rebuilt....rebuilt trans, new chains, bearings, sprockets ect. Where as my max II has quite a few hours on the original equipment. It's making me think that either my plungers are out of adjustment, or mine is due for a thorough going through. I have his max IV in my garage now just so I can compare side by side what's different....that and I need to install a heated throttle cable on it.

Don't get me wrong, while traveling at speed, I can gradually steer mine, but at low speed, he's got me beat. Do the max IV's always steer this easily???

hey mikey, i'm not as mechanically familiar as alot of the other guys on the forum. i'm sure you will get very good input. sounds to me like the trans bands need adjusting or replacing. i always thought a slow, steady pull on the steering sticks was the best technique for turning, not jerks. my max 2 turns just fine that way. let's see what the others say. johnboy va.

The one I just bought was exactly the same way but I just adjusted the bands it is much better and I am not tearing up the yard as much. Using the t-20 manual no special tools needed but it take a while and is an akward position to get to to measure.

A Max2 should perform with greater agility than a Max4 all things being equal. What engine is in the 2? and the 4? A 14hp Max2 will be more effort to steer and power through obstacles than a Max4 with a 25hp. In general terms I think my 18hp Max2 is on par with my 25hp Max4. Both have fairly new bearings and chains, and rebuilt t20s. Tires will make a tremendous difference too, My tan Max2 came with a wimpy 14 horse B&S and 21" tires, I upgraded to 18 HP and eventually to 25" tires. Those changes and some basic tweaking got the machine running strong.
    Sounds like your machine just needs some tinkering.

Thanks for the replies. My II has a 14 hp briggs, upgraded with a 16 hp carb. The max IV has the 18 hp briggs. I'll find the t20 manual on here and see about adjusting my bands. I called mudd ox the other day hoping to find the plunger adjustment tool, left a message but never got a returned call. I'll try again tomorrow

I recently bought a set from Richards Relics. Cost is $25 plus shipping. $ 6.00 to northern Alaska. These work well. I adjusted one side on my Max IV a few days ago.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

I hate dealing with Richards but it looks like the only option I have. I've seen the homemade tools on here, but don't have access to precision cutting equipment like that

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyM View Post
    I hate dealing with Richards but it looks like the only option I have. I've seen the homemade tools on here, but don't have access to precision cutting equipment like that
    This is the reason I ordered from him. No one answered my Wanted ad here. So I ordered the set.
    Sometimes you got to do what you got to do.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

+ Reply to Thread