New (to me) Max II owner

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New (to me) Max II owner

New (to me) Max II owner

Hey Y'all. Bought a 97 Max off craigslist. After reading on the site I was able to get most things to working order. Adjusted all the chains, bands, fluids, cleaned the carb and its working much better now. Figured out from reading that the trans makes some crazy poping noises but they went away after a quart of lucas atf and additive.

A few questions I have for my fellow max owners are...

Is it normal for the exhaust to glow red from running the engine at max rpm?

Is it normal for the clutch and pulley to use only half of the available surface on their pulleys? photo(7).jpg Seems like if it was using all the available pulley face it would be faster, its kinda slow now.

IF that is normal is there a way to mod or adjust it to make it faster?

All the lube points I have found is the 2 jack shafts and i behind each wheel. Any others?

Still trying to find a stumble in the engine, at steady rpms it kinds surges just a little and when the RPMS slightly drop from the surge there is a faint poping from the carb. 18HP vanguard

any advise is welcome.
    Last edited by 84td; 09-21-2014 at 08:21 PM.

Congratulations on your Max. Your exhaust shouldn't glow like that just from revving it up. It may be clogged with mud. The outer exhausts on Max IIs are bad about getting mud up the exhaust tip. Look inside the exhaust and see if it is open. The mud will typically build up right at the end where you can see it. It may even be worth taking the muffler off and checking it if you can't see anything with it on the machine. That could be causing some of your engine issues as well.

As for the clutches, your belt should be riding fully to the top and bottom of the clutches. Check to see if it is the right width and make sure it is properly tensioned. Someone could have put the wrong belt on or it could be badly worn. It should be 1-3/16" wide.

Where I live, dirt daubers get into everything. From RV air conditioners to outboard water pump intakes, to atv mufflers and exhaust pipes. I had a lawn mower do the same thing with a red glowing exhaust, and upon teardown found a fist sized dirt dauber nest in the exhaust pipe.

It seems unlikely since the exhaust seems to flow really well, when reving it will blow the leaves from the ground no problem. To be clear it glows after about 30 seconds of holding WOT.

I figured the clutch wasn't working right, the belt is new, about 1 3/16 wide, about 3/8 thick and has gear teeth like ribs on the bottom of it. When the engine is off the belt is tight, there is about 2in of space on the clutch shaft with the engine off and as soon as it starts up it sucks up to the belt. Anything I can check or adjust on it?

Quote Originally Posted by 84td View Post
    It seems unlikely since the exhaust seems to flow really well, when reving it will blow the leaves from the ground no problem. To be clear it glows after about 30 seconds of holding WOT.

I figured the clutch wasn't working right, the belt is new, about 1 3/16 wide, about 3/8 thick and has gear teeth like ribs on the bottom of it. When the engine is off the belt is tight, there is about 2in of space on the clutch shaft with the engine off and as soon as it starts up it sucks up to the belt. Anything I can check or adjust on it?
    There is your problem with your belt,,,, it's too tight. If im right there should only be like an inch to an inch and a half of deflection in the belt. You can fix it by loosening the engine mounts and sliding the engine towards the Transmission to the desired tightness
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Actually it sounds like your belt is too loose. It should engage the engine pulley very low when starting off. If it engages up on the pulley, the belt is probably too loose. Will the belt drop all the way down into the engine clutch when the engine is off? The clutch may not be fully disengaging. Engine off--- the belt should be at the bottom of the engine pulley and the top of the driven pulley.

hi
    The CVT belt ********must be the correct length for the application .********* The belt that was on the machine may not have been the correct belt . Did u replace the belt with a copy of what was installed ?????????
    As a rough guide a good belt will sit flush with the outer secondary ,sit all the way down in the primary , approx. 1 1/2 belt slack .
    When free reving the engine the the belt should travel to the outer of the primary and to the inner on the secondary .
    Even when the correct belt is installed a slightly loose or tight belt will change the gear shift in a big way .
    To loose
    belt slip
    engine loading up due to being in a to higher gear [a loose belt will ride up the pulleys quickly ]
    To tight
    Hard to put into gear ,transmission spinning at idle

tomo

HI
    The exhaust may be restricted .
    If not IT IS VERY COMMON FOR VANGUARDS TO RUN LEAN
    It is common to hear people saying it accelerates better with the choke ""On" .
    Explanation
    As a vanguard engine gets older in looses the ability to suck . The ability for the engine to create vacuum . Without the proper vacuum the carby will not deliver the correct amount of fuel .[caused by ring wear and hone cross hatch wear, it disappears.] This causes the lean condition ,particularly on acceleration .
    This causes glowing red ,popping from carby and hesitation /stumble from carby

The carby was designed for a NON accelerating application [pumps,generators etc ]so it struggles with a 6x6 application .

A compression check will not show this problem .The compression release does not allow a true reading . If u do measure it a 130 psi reading is a ball park figure.This reading is deceiving
    **** The only way to check for this is a leak down test ********

Check valve clearances
    Popping can be caused by a ridding/slightly open valve
    This leads to a burnt valve which should be diagnosed by compression and leak down test
    tomo
    Last edited by Tomo; 09-22-2014 at 07:09 PM.

I took some pics, the 2in was generous, seemed like more but when I looked its more like 1/2in, I am referring to the space next to the belt. As you can see from the wear marks the belt is only going half way up the pulleys, same for the other one. The belt has 1.5in of deflection and is inbetween 1-1/8 and 1-3/16 wide at the top. Not sure if a 32nd of wear would make too much difference??
    photo(8).jpgimage(1).jpg

@ Tomo, I read it could be lean or timing, it sounds like you have experience with these, I will do a compression test, I dont have a leak down tester but I did check the valves already. The intakes are .005 and the exhaust .010

Can the carb be re-jetted or drilled out for more fuel?

How many rpm's is it turning in neutral?

+ Reply to Thread