maple syrup

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: maple syrup

Rusty,

I was wondering about that. I was born and raised here, but I still like maple better than birch and we live in birch country. Birch syrup is more expensive too.

We kinda got off topic here. A guy could definitely use his Max to work the syrup trade. I think a trailer with a bulk tank pulled behind the Max would work the best. The guys who work birch syrup carry a 100 gallon bulk tank (probably about 800lbs full) in the bed of their rangers. They empty the collection buckets into the bulk tank. IMO that wouldn't be a good idea in a Max. It takes you pretty close to the maximum load rating and would be very hard on bearings and axles. However, a good trailer with a walking beam axle and rated for 1600 lbs should have no problem with that kind of load.

If you are just working a small personal syrup operation where you don't have to haul those kind of volumes, perhaps you could get by with a 50gal or 30gal bulk tank. That would probably be alright in the back seat of a Max IV or the bed of a Buffalo. I think there is weight limit on the cargo area of a Max II though. The trailer idea would work well for any machine.

Hi I have a 1997 buffalo that I used for maple syrup gathering It works ok but needs wider tracks I right now have 12 inch wide plastic tracks that I got for a cheap price not knowing better that the rubber tracks are the right ones .But I have used a max 2 with a trailer behind it to haul in sap but I first made a trail with a snow machine.The max is a very old 1970 max with th 3 lug wheels and hollow axles so I don't put tracks on that one.I would like to get a new max2 set up for there 15inch wide rubber tracks 23hp motor and I think it would work great. How many taps do you do?

Hi I have a 1997 buffalo that I use for sap collecting I have the plastic tracks on it and wished I got the 15 inch wide rubber tracks than 12inch wide plastic.It goes good when the path is been open up and the snow is that march snow ,not fluffy feb.snow.Wider tracks are better.I have taken out my old max out near the end of the season in mid to late March,with just tires because it is a 1970 max with hollow axles etc.I would like to try a new max 850 with the rubber tracks,too.

I'm making my own Max II 20" wide tracks for birch sap collection. They gonna be nice cause I'm custom building them and I know what I"m doin! Making custom 1.5" channel" dies which allow the 20' wide with 10' steel and 10" web.

Those sound really interesting. How about some pics during the build and after so we can see (and drool over) the specifics?

Sorry...they turned out to be 21" wide! Max II 18HP BRIGGS original 1989 with bushing axles. Lowered gearing thanks to my good friend Mark Albert. When I said "they gonna be nice"...I had no idea how nice. I did know I was custom building them and didn't know how well they would work? I did know what I was doin cause I understand the basics. I have tons of photos and videos of my build.

Don't know how to post pics or video? Most people would say not to encourage me! akcrawler...this track building occurred in your back yard at mile 95.3.

I posted this a while back about posting photos
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/max-a...tml#post219923

+ Reply to Thread