1980? Max II general questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1980? Max II general questions

1980? Max II general questions

Hi gang!
    so, I'm back.........this time with the above titled rig.
    Any specific things to check/look for/change/ fix?
    It's a 2 stroke engine. I'd eventually like to change to 4 stroke.......we'll see I guess.Any input appreciated.
    Henry:
    I don't know where I'm going, but, I'm on my way...........

Biggest problem with that machine is the inner axle Bushings wear out. The Brass and Not a Bearing like the newer one's. Check you axle play (up & Down) other than that it's a real easy machine to up grade to a 4 cycle motor All though I Like the 2 smokers !!
    Post some pics when you can.

I have 2 1980 models with 4 stroke vanguard. Love them both.

ah ok, thanks wedge. I'll check the play. Yeah, I'd prefer a 4 stroke. Gonna see what's around. About what would the lower H.P. be that's workable?
    I have a pretty complete machine shop here in my shop, lathe, mills, drill presses, cut off saws, MIG, arc, and gas welder and plasma cutter. Is there a preferred swap as far as bearings go?
    Also weighing buying or trying to make tracks for snow.
    Henry:
    I don't know where I'm going, but, I'm on my way...........

The problem with inner axle bushings is not the fault of the bushing itself, it is the fact that there is no provision for greasing them.
    There is however an easy fix......the axles are hollow...add a grease zerk.
    IMG_1881.jpg
    It will fill the whole axle with grease and some will ooze out the bolt hole making a small mess, but grease does get to the bushing.

+ Reply to Thread