Rusty Max IV axles

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rusty Max IV axles

Rusty Max IV axles

Any ideas on removing badly rusted axles from a 1970's max IV? I just bought this machine and it has sit outside a "long time". I want to do a frame out restoration but the axles are frozen in the bearings. I did take the outside bearing loose on one but even with heat, penatrating oil, the sprocket bolt out and the allen screw out of the axle retaining collar, I am unable to get the axle out of the innner bearing. I even used a brass drift and hammer with no movement. The axles turn but all bearings need to be replaced

C4 and blasting caps Jk. Someone will be along soon to give indepth info regarding a machine that has not ran in some time. A running machine would be different, you could loosten the bearings up and use the power of the machine to help break them lose.

Go and get a cheap air hammer at Wal Mart and cut the end off one of the tools. I usually take a brazing rod and put some brass on the impact end to avoid steel against steel. The sharp impact makes pretty quick work of them.

Thanks, I "might" have come up with the air hammer later. I was about to cut all six and go with all new everything.

Probably be better off in the long haul.

Try a big slide hammer bolted to the axle. If that doesn't work, I would unbolt the flanges. You can pull the axle out enough to hit the bearings with a big hammer to break the outer race, and then cut the inner race off with a cut off wheel. The next fight is the sprockets. If you can't get them off the axle in the machine, you May have to cut the axles out and press out the sprocket. From there you have 2 options. 1. Press off the sprockets and get new/used pinned axles, or 2. Buy new splined sprockets and axles. I have a set of 6 pinned max IV axles that I took if a 1996 machine if you decide to cut them out. You can just pm me how many you have end up needing and I can get you a price and shipping quote if you want. Member z240 has a bunch of max IV splined axles for sale if you want to upgrade. His axles came right from the factory and are a bargain. The only catch is, you would need to source the sprockets. Good luck. I don't fight axles anymore. I'll save what I can and cut what is too far stuck.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Thanks guys!!!!! I found out since it got late the air hammer was out so I sacrificed a 3/8in extention and drove the outside bearing (flanges loose) hitting on the inside bearing race of the outer bearing. Now its just a matter of having the bearing pressed off and clean the axles and have new bearings pressed on. This is becoming quite a project.

I did it last winter with a cut off wheel in a side grinder. And a Bosh Saws All for hard to get at stuff. Sent it all to the dump but the body. Take care Ted

+ Reply to Thread