Redesigning shifters

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Redesigning shifters

Redesigning shifters

Hello, it has been a long time since I have been on this site and I am finally getting around to fixing up the max ii over the winter. I was thinking about redesigning the shifters because in our rough terrain hunching over to use them is pretty uncomfortable after even an hour long ride. I have been thinking about redesigning the shifters so that they v out at the bottom and come up on either side like a zero turn mower. I would also slant them back a little bit so that I won't be putting my hands into the dash when going forward and so it is possibly to sit back in the seat. If anybody else has modified their shifters in this way please post pictures below as I am still trying to get ideas. Don't really care what 6x6 it is on, just trying to get ideas that will still make the t20 happy.
    1983 max ll: Getting a 14 HP vanguard and some other custom mods.
    1999 Arctic Cat 400 4x4: dvx 400 carb, msd 4217, kenda bear claw htr's.
    2007 Kawasaki Mule 3010 Trans Diesel: Stock.
    1997 Kawasaki prairie 400 4x4: Custom rollover bodywork.
    1986 Isuzu Trooper II: Factory Diesel/5 Speed, 30+mpg daily driver.

Your idea sounds good, but keep some things in mind: A zero turn mower (I had a Ferris 1500 IS for a few years) has a suspension and a fairly decent seat with arm rests to support the arms in rough terrain. Our toys do not have suspension or arm rests. The lack of suspension or arm rests is a key factor in the placement of the handles and in my opinion has a direct effect on how well your response time is to terrain and its effects on driver input to the steering. The military vehicles that are lateral steering have the laterals placed just as they are in our aatvs. This is due to the minimal suspension in the vehicles, it helps to minimize driver input in rough terrain (since the laterals are centered to the driver). A wide lateral placement will promote excessive bumps directly into the steering if you do not have arm rests (or good suspension) to help stabilize the input to the steering. If you do make this modification look into having arm rests to stabilize driver input into the laterals. Your idea has merit and could be a benefit to your comfort, I just don’t want it to be at the expense of enjoying your machine.

+ Reply to Thread