Winch wiring routing for MAX II

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winch wiring routing for MAX II

Winch wiring routing for MAX II

Installing a HF 3,000# winch. Installed the fabricated winch mount with backing plate and am going to mount the wiring block to the backing plate. Where is everyone routing the power cables? I want to avoid the chain trough entirely and can't go over the frame at the front as that is a pinch point. I wanted to avoid drilling a hole in the frame if possible.

Additionally, are you using a rubber grommet going through the top of the body? Does anyone think an AGM battery help or be any better than the lawnmower batteries these seem to be made for. Sort of wanted to not overtax a battery by winching and can't really install a larger battery as it doesn't look like there is any more room.

If anyone has installed one of these HF units I would appreciate their input.

I haven't done much swimming with this and also wanted to install a bilge pump but wasn't sure to mount that either.

Again any comments or assistance is appreciated.

No bushings needed. Drill 2 holes through the top, one for each wire, and keep the holes small. That way if they did chafe they do not touch anything but the plastic top.
    Route the wires with the other wiring through the top to beside the seat where they drop to the bottom tub. I would not mount the contactor relay with the winch. You will find out that every time you enter the water it will get dunked...it's just asking for trouble. Mount it near the battery somewhere easy to access. It could even be mounted to the bottom tub just above the center tire, where the wiring transitions from the top to the bottom.
    Because the winch tends to go under water regularly, it is wise to solder the ring lugs on the wires at the winch. The solder keeps corrosion out of this connection. And put some anti seize on the winch terminals.
    Bigger batteries always help. I use automotive batteries, but sealed type would be better...just more $$$ Mounting locations can get a little tricky. There is room beside the engine, but it makes the machine even more rear heavy than it already is. [IMG][/IMG]
    This is my favorite location, but it really only works with a single seat.

Bilge pump can go beside the engine, connected to the inner frame rail just above the chain trough. A couple inches of water in the bottom will be left after it quits pumping, but wont hurt anything till you can drain w/ the drain plugs.

+ Reply to Thread