Max IV Idlers

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max IV Idlers

Max IV Idlers

Last edited by whipper-ag; 07-12-2016 at 04:46 PM.

WTF, WHAT HAPPENED YOU BROKE YOURS.
    you need to start upgrading all those old outdated parts WHIPPER.

Yep, seen it before. Nothing like finding some ball bearings rolling around in the tub just before imminent failure.

It surprises me that many of those made it a year. I still find them in use but rarely any good.

Are these the standard stock items for all Max IV's, or just certain years? Have many of the readers in this forum had to replace them due to bearing failure? I'm just trying to get a bead on possible failure modes so I can be ready.

I don't know what year they stopped using them, but they are an older style that ri wasn't using anymore when they were sold.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

They were in many of the 90's models, the later cast ones were much better if the bearing stayed in place.

I have a 94ish max4 and it came with them, one got destroyed at Busco last month.. Luckily Drew came stocked and hooked me up with a new one(thanks again Drew). Norm

Are sprocket type idlers the way to go on a Max IV or are there better solutions? I've read a few other posts about using delrin rollers, skateboard wheels and other various chain tensioners. Do the plastic type rollers provide less friction? Do they wear faster? What are the pros and cons?

I think a quality plastic will be longer wearing than a metal sprocket adjuster. Less friction means less time adjusting the chain. I have two types of UHMW that I've been experimenting with. One is the skateboard wheel that adjusts chain on an 80+ horsepower engine. Very little wear and tear so far.

The other type of adjuster is a semi-floating / in both a manual and partially self adjusting mechanism. I have these on a Max4 with a 25 hp engine. The self adjusting version still has some bugs in it.

I don't have enough time on the prototypes to say this is the solution however. I think they do show promise though.

+ Reply to Thread