My Max is not an Argo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Max is not an Argo

My Max is not an Argo

Just thought I'd start this thread because I know there's other people who have the heard the same thing. Everywhere I go people call my Max IV an Argo. Not that I have anything against Argo as they are awesome machines as well and hope to own one some day. I just get tired of trying to educate people.
    Just the other day I was asked if I could bring my "thing with tracks on it" over to a guys house to pack down his woods roads since we got a foot of snow and the ground wasn't froze he kept getting stuck. After riding with me for an hour we packed everything down so it could freeze good he says " boy that Argo works good" I just went with it because we had the same discussion last year when I made roads for him.
    Last year I gave two of my friends a ride out on the ice. They weren't familiar with my "Argo" at all. We got out to our spot and set up. Nobody said anything about their first ride in an amphib. After a while a Polaris ranger with tracks came past us and those guys just about wet themselves because everybody has heard of a Polaris. They also heard about a machine just like it that went through the ice towards the end of the season. I then explained to them why I run a Max or as they like to call it an Argo.
    One other time while buying paint at the hardware store for my enclosed trailer the guy asked if I hauled an atv in it. I replied yes. He asked what kind. That's when my girlfriend spared me the trouble and told him all about it while I went up front and paid for it since we were in a hurry. She's gotten real good at answering all the normal questions as well. How fast does it go, how big of engine, is it like an Argo and on and on.
    Just thought I'd start this thread so others can share their experiences educating the four wheeler crowd.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Trevor your will probably continue to get this as the Argo seems to show up more and more on TV, Duck Dynasty pretty much sealed it. Many people who have no knowledge of the machines have seen them on a TV show or another, Jim Shockey has all the hunters and Duck Dynasty has the masses ( smart marketing move on Argo's part) as social media seems to be the key today.

Years ago while riding in different regions we would get " We had a Max like that when I grew up" while riding the Southern Tier or after telling them it was an Argo something like "yeah our Argo was yellow and only seated 2 people" in Pa. So previously, before all the recent media, it was probably more of a regional brand thing which has become a masses thing it is today.

Personally the thing that always gets me (and makes me chuckle inside) is " Does that thing float?" and after answering yes it floats, "How deep of water can you go in?". To which I always reply, " Once your floating your floating right?" , to which I get "Oh yeah (dumbfounded by the simple answer)" which I follow by "don't use it in a chop or a current".

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Yeah, I get that. Even prior to all the publicity on tv people would relate to the small ad in the back of every outdoor magazine. I too have been asked how deep of water will it float in. My friend used to have a max II and while out fishing was asked by someone on shore if that thing floats. Well he doesn't exactly have the diplomacy I do lol. He told them it doesn't float. He was flown in with a helicopter and set on a small island.

[QUOTE=tbone9;179194 My friend used to have a max II and while out fishing was asked by someone on shore if that thing floats. Well he doesn't exactly have the diplomacy I do lol. He told them it doesn't float. He was flown in with a helicopter and set on a small island.[/QUOTE]

I too have to watch my tongue and hope they don't ask on the trail after dark.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.

Lol. It's all good. With all the interest and questions from people I still can't get them to pull the trigger on one no matter what make. They go to the Polaris and put tracks on and have nothing but problems. I met Dave Genz one time at an ice fishing contest and he came by on his snow machine all decked out for ice fishing that his sponsor gave him. He said he had an Argo just like mine but got rid of it because it didn't go fast enough. I then asked what he does with his snow machine in the summer he said he puts it in storage. I told him I fish out of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone9 View Post
    Just thought I'd start this thread because I know there's other people who have the heard the same thing. Everywhere I go people call my Max IV an Argo. Not that I have anything against Argo as they are awesome machines as well and hope to own one some day. I just get tired of trying to educate people.
    Just the other day I was asked if I could bring my "thing with tracks on it" over to a guys house to pack down his woods roads since we got a foot of snow and the ground wasn't froze he kept getting stuck. After riding with me for an hour we packed everything down so it could freeze good he says " boy that Argo works good" I just went with it because we had the same discussion last year when I made roads for him.
    Last year I gave two of my friends a ride out on the ice. They weren't familiar with my "Argo" at all. We got out to our spot and set up. Nobody said anything about their first ride in an amphib. After a while a Polaris ranger with tracks came past us and those guys just about wet themselves because everybody has heard of a Polaris. They also heard about a machine just like it that went through the ice towards the end of the season. I then explained to them why I run a Max or as they like to call it an Argo.
    One other time while buying paint at the hardware store for my enclosed trailer the guy asked if I hauled an atv in it. I replied yes. He asked what kind. That's when my girlfriend spared me the trouble and told him all about it while I went up front and paid for it since we were in a hurry. She's gotten real good at answering all the normal questions as well. How fast does it go, how big of engine, is it like an Argo and on and on.
    Just thought I'd start this thread so others can share their experiences educating the four wheeler crowd.

It will be all the Argo stickers you put on it to make folk think you had a proper one

Even the Stickers are expensive ! LOL !

To go back to your original venting (how's that for pc?). Snowcat's are the same way be it a SnowCat or a Nodwel, Catagator or what ever, everyone knows them as SnowCat's. They too have many mfgrs. and I know none properly as I'm just as ignorant about them as many are about 6x6's.

Back in the day when there was 30+ manufacturers of the AATV we had a better knowing of who was who. But it all boils down to how the two being made still have marketing ajendas. Argo has gone way out in the main stream and did a Very good job getting there machine known. Max kinda road there coat tail on this ! If you look back Attex was Very well known for there machine s. You still find old dealer adds and promo items poping up ! All in all there both good machines. But the run of the mill Joe Public only knows what he see,s. To be honest the one true 6x6 many of us ever First saw was the Amphicat. That was due to the Banna Splits show! Even then we didn't know its name !!!

"T", don't feel bad. We all go through it. Especially down South all the guys ever heard of is an Argo. You can think of a bunch of things the same way. If it's yellow and has a blade on it-it's automatically a Caterpillar. All skid steers are Bobcats. At one time all refrigerators were
    Frigidaire's. Just look at all as the price you have to pay to be in a very exclusive fraternity.

+ Reply to Thread