Which alternator to use?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which alternator to use?

Which alternator to use?

I have an 07 max IV with the 27 up Kawasaki motor and I have intentions to put some lights on it and thus I need to go ahead and install an alternator to power those items. Had anyone done this on this "particular" motor setup? Can you share your situation, what alternator you used, how it was installed, and if you would have done something differently if u were not totally satisfied?

I also plan to get rid of the temperature light and replace it with a real gauge, and an actual oil pressure gauge. In addition I want to add a hour meter, spot for charging a cell phone/gps usage type items. Can anyone recommend which gauges to use in this application?
    Last edited by rcn11thacr; 11-20-2014 at 08:38 PM.

I believe that it is GM that makes a one wire alternator.

Thanks tattooman, but maybe I should have better clarified my question. I know I can get a 1 wire gm alternator but I also know those alternators are pretty large. My hope is to use a modern small alternator off do one of these new vehicles. Something that does not take up much space. I've had many alternators modified to 1 wire by the local alternator shop and (correct me if I'm wrong) I'd think that can be done to all alternators. If that's the case I'd like to use as small of an alternator as possible. Since this is a max I don't see me needing an alternator that is large enough to put out 100 amps plus. Something more compact should provide all the power I need for this. Has anyone used any of the new, smaller alternators? Maybe off an import car ( those alternators are super small) and would work well in confined spaces.

I used a Toyota alternator once, it worked well and was small.

The Argo alternator kit uses a very small Denso # 18504-6220. Send akranger72 a message he found a supplier on line that provided his for a couple max's. I haven't done the Kawasaki fd750 but have spent a lot of time planing the upgrade. Haven't found drive pulley for crank. Clearance to lower part of radiator will be a challenge. Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by msafi65 View Post
    The Argo alternator kit uses a very small Denso # 18504-6220. Send akranger72 a message he found a supplier on line that provided his for a couple max's. I haven't done the Kawasaki fd750 but have spent a lot of time planing the upgrade. Haven't found drive pulley for crank. Clearance to lower part of radiator will be a challenge. Keep us posted.
    do you know what size of pulley to use?

I had thought to purchase another lower pulley from Kawasaki and fab a spacer to place it next to the original with appropriate length bolts. Then mount the alternator under radiator. The Denso will have the pulley end facing the engine for proper rotation.

This denso part number comes up as a 40 amp alternator. I've seen on the Argo forum where guys lost power at idle due to lights etc being used. I don't want to run out of power and if the are, then I am likely to do so as well. An alternator’s output is rated much like a generator’s, and is the maximum output that the alternator is capable of producing for an extended period of time. Unlike a generator, however, an alternator will normally provide 60 percent of its rated output at an idle. This is why you add a 20 percent reserve to your total output requirements, so you won’t run short of amps at idle. So I need to do some more research to verify my needs before I decide on exactly which one to use. This one may work fine, I just want to make sure first.

Quote Originally Posted by msafi65 View Post
    I had thought to purchase another lower pulley from Kawasaki and fab a spacer to place it next to the original with appropriate length bolts. Then mount the alternator under radiator. The Denso will have the pulley end facing the engine for proper rotation.
    Something else to consider about pulley size (this is why I asked if u already knew a correct size). The smaller the pulley, the larger the output at lower rpm. Most all alternators are designed to provide rated output at "highway speed" rpms. So if I use the same pulley that's on the front of the motor in question chances are it's way to large and will take forever to charge and only when at high rpm (which is evidently why the Argos are having charging problems at idle). I think we should be looking for a much smaller pulley than a matching one for what's currently on the machine.
    Last edited by rcn11thacr; 11-22-2014 at 09:32 AM.

There is also a 70 amp in the same case. I don't have that # handy. The larger the crank pulley the faster the drive. Clearance was my concern. Most Argos will hold 14 + volts at just over idle unless all the accessories are on.

+ Reply to Thread