Max ll Bearings, Bearings, Bearings

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Max ll Bearings, Bearings, Bearings

It depends on the level of quality you're looking for. I've put some cheaper Peer, KML, NTN, and FYH bearings in several machines. These varied from 52mm to 72mm O.D. bearings. For the most part, these hold up fine in the relative short term (3-5 years?) giving them decent abuse in local muddy conditions and some of the nastiest stuff Busco Beach can throw at them. These lower-end units were typically standard (single) or double-lip sealed units. The triple sealed Timken/Fafnir insert bearings are really high end pieces and I'm running them in a couple machines as well. They're a lot more pricey, but I'm anticipating having to replace them a lot more infrequently for the amount of riding I actually get around to doing.

To answer your question more succinctly, yes: $11.36 each. Typically, these are KML brand, but that may have changed.

HC207-20 1-1/4" Cam Locking Insert Bearing Large OD

::EDIT:: ... .and for goodness' sake, eBay, eBay...eBay... I've purchased from these guys, too. They combine shipping to an extent.

HC207 20 China New Ball Bearing Insert | eBay

Now THAT'S scraping the bottom of the price barrel. These could very well be the same bearings that the BigBearingStore is offering above.
    Last edited by hydromike; 11-25-2014 at 11:26 AM.

Adair Argo makes a set of synthetic bearings out of UHMW plastic. They look kind of like a hockey puck. I've got a pair on a Max 2 as well as on an Argo Frontier. Each has been on for three years and about 150 hours per machine with no signs of wear, and they keep the tub sealed very well.

I think they will continue to work well for many years. There are no moving parts. These work for both smooth or splined axles.

Since you are not sure what size bearings you have I would pull a couple off to determine for sure what size you need. If you have a smaller set you could ask the Adair guys to send a non drilled set so that you could drill your on bolt holes. Then secure with carriage bolts.

Noel, would you happen to have a picture of the synthetic bearings. .

These bearings can be mounted singly, doubled, tripled, or whatever. I mounted this one as a double to emulate the bearing extensions that Argo uses.

Believe the 97's still had 62mm bearings, if your machine has inner bushings and pinned(bolt on sprockets) axles it probably has 62 mm. They would be HC206-20

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Thanks for the input guys,
    Noel, those bearings seem a little pricey. I know you get what you pay for. It would probably take a decade for me to put 150 hrs on my Max.

Jim, my sprockets are welded, not bolted. Everyone as well as RI assures me they are 72mm bearings based on my serial number 135## . I'll check the PN on the flange to make sure.

Hydromike. I think I may try the Chinese bearings. I've actually heard good things about these bearing before as well as their chains. Of course opinions are like a-holes. No more than I will ride it they should last me a long , long time. I doubt if I will be going through mud bogs or anything like that. I also promise to keep the chains up to snuff.

I appreciate all the advice guys. I'll let you know what comes of it.
    Our motto in the Strategic Air Command was "Peace is our Profession". If you don't believe it we'll bomb the hell out of you.

bearing extensions

Attex UHMW Bearing Support Spacer | eBay

Just wondering if this is what I should use?
    Just upgraded by drilling the 4 chain attex frame for max 62mm bearing and flanges for 1 1/4 axle upgrade
    I would like to extend the bearing out more towards the hub.
    I have Between 3 1/2" and 3 3/4" distance from outer tub and hub
    Thinking 2 each axle for total of 3" of extensions
    Just wondering if this is what I need
    ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

From many years of hard earned experience, whatever you think you will subject a machine to and the amount of time you think you will have it, triple that.

Anytime a sprocket, bearing or chain is needed, it really pays to get the very best you can afford. I can't tell you how many frames I've pulled and then replaced less than all the sprockets or bearings and re-assembled the vehicle only to have to do it again a few months later to replace another nick nack part.

Yeah Noel, been there, done that. Been doing some serious thinking about that since my last post . Probably will go with a better bearing. You really have me thinking about the UHMW bearings, but how are they mounted?. Same as Mike's video with the regular replacement bearings with same flanges? Mike, you wanna chime in on this? Also Noel, which bearing did you buy and how much did you pay for them for your Max ll? Mine is a '97 72mm flanges. I realize they may cost more now. If it's that simple I'll go with the UHMW's
    Our motto in the Strategic Air Command was "Peace is our Profession". If you don't believe it we'll bomb the hell out of you.

The synthetic bearings mount via carriage bolts. When you get the set they come with the standard cork gaskets. Once mounted and the nuts secured you are pretty much done. I do check the tension of the nuts after a ride. Once in a blue moon one or two will take a snugging up.

Mine are the standard 72mm versions. Its been 3 years since I bought the set and I can't recall the price, but I do know it was about the cost of a mid-grade bearing and less than the cost of Timken/Fafnir bearings.

+ Reply to Thread