Max ll Bearings, Bearings, Bearings

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Max ll Bearings, Bearings, Bearings

Hey Noel,
    I decided to go with the KML bearings. Not like I'll be going thru mud bogs and all that or putting a crap load of hours on it. I have to admit your bearing suggestion seemed like a good idea. Nowhere near the same price though. I got the bearings and flanges yesterday. They look great. The bearings have a very small nub sitting on the outer race side of the bearing. I suppose that has to be removed for it to fit in the flange. It definitely won't fit with it on. It's very small (maybe 1/16 in. tall and wide. Probably made to fit into a groove on one of their flanges. Would of thought they would all come that way. I also plan on tapping the opposite side of the locking collars and putting better locking screws in there as well as putting a locking clamp over the collar to prevent the screws from backing out. Probably some locktite also. These locking collars don't appear to be the type you tighten/loosen with the hammer/punch trick. They only have the locking screw. I'm sure by the time I'm finished they won't go anywhere. I'll keep you up to date with the progress. Thanks again for the advice.
    Our motto in the Strategic Air Command was "Peace is our Profession". If you don't believe it we'll bomb the hell out of you.

The original bearings are HC 207-20- R3. The R3 is regreasable and Tripple sealed. I buy my bearings from the big bearing store. The single seal ones don't hold out water as well. A lot of people including me use strip chalk to seal bearing flanges to the tub insted of the rubber gaskets. It's a product usually available in auto body stores. Replace all the bearings and keep them lubed you will get a lot of years out of them.

Definitely pull the nubs out of the bearings, a pair of diagonal wire cutters works well. The collars will only lock to the bearings once you have an axle in them. They lock against each other. They will not lock together off the axles.

Thanks Guys,
    Hopefully my Max will spend very little time in water. Where I play is at 8000 ft in the mountains of the San Luis Valley, Colorado. Mostly dust and dirt and hills. I'll snatch the nubs out for sure Mike. These bearings I have do accept grease and I'll be sure and line them up correctly. Thanks for the heads up on the collars Mike. I was actually wondering about that. You guys are so helpful. I'll jump into it head first this weekend.
    Our motto in the Strategic Air Command was "Peace is our Profession". If you don't believe it we'll bomb the hell out of you.

Got the front ones done. Stripped a set screw on a collar and had to visit ACE Hardware. Pretty much have the hang of it now thanks to Mike's video and the rest of the guys that chimed in. Now on to the tough ones, the center and rear. Guess I'll go ahead and remove the tranny and adjust it while I'm in there. I'm really looking forward to that (NOT). Oh well, keeps me busy.

Well, got it all put back together with new bearings, chain and tranny fluid, conditioner and adjustment. Runs and drives like a new one. I was surprised how fast it was: I used the KML Chinese bearings and noticed the collars don't twist and lock like the ones I removed. They just use the set screw unless I'm missing something. Oh well, I'm sure they will last a good while. I cinched them down pretty good with thread locker. I'll keep an eye on them for movement. I'm wiring it now for the winch. The wiring with the unit was about 3' too short. It's supposed to snow here in Denver Sunday. YESSSSSS!

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw1 View Post
    I used the KML Chinese bearings and noticed the collars don't twist and lock like the ones I removed. They just use the set screw unless I'm missing something.
    You have to make sure you put the collars on the correct way and that you have the bearings turned the correct way as well. It's easy to put the bearings in backwards if you aren't careful.

Yea Mike. The collars actually fit over the bearing on the one side that protrudes outward and absolutely do not fit on the other. I installed them on the side where the collar actually fit over the bearing approx 1/8 inch or so with that side facing outward. The collar is not tapered on the inside so as to allow it to be actually tightened as you show in the video. I attempted several times to no avail. My neighbor also looked at them and also came to the same conclusion that the only way to tighten this collar is with the set screw. The last collar I attempted to install was oversized.Obviously for a larger sized axle. A packaging issue I am sure. I had to use one of the old collars and it tightened up quite well. Anyone out there reading this that found out differently please chime in.

I just got a call back from the Big Bearing Store. I had called them with the question of whether or not the collars should lock down on these bearings. They pull a few off their shelf and assured me the only locking mechanism for those bearings was the set screw. They also said if the set screws did not hold the bearing that they would give me my money back or send me a different design that would lock that way. Guess you can't beat that. I just hate the thought of them not working and having to go thru the hastle again. Time will tell

Geez this thread is getting long. The nice lady from the Big Bearing Store called me back after the first call and told me the collars did lock after all. I went back and tried them all again and lo and behold they locked up as advertised. I really hope it snows Sunday so I can play with this thing after all the headaches. I have driven it a little but it's tough on everything on the concrete.

+ Reply to Thread