Wiring alternative for heated throttle cable

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wiring alternative for heated throttle cable

Ogdensburg, NY mailing but live in Morristown, New York

Wiring alternative for heated throttle cable

Now that cold weather is here, after an afternoon of hunting I came back to my 1996 Max II w/23 hp Vanguard engine and attempted to start it. It was cold and I wanted to get home. I noticed that the throttle cable was frozen. After I started the engine it started to race and I couldn't move the choke as it was not operating properly. I have since ordered a new one. Anyway, some time after I hit the throttle heater switch, eventually it did thaw the cable. I'm wondering if there is an alternative to letting the machine sit cold while the cable freezes then having to wait till it thaws. I was thinking of an additional small battery and bypass switch so I could leave the key off, hit the switch and let the aux battery keep the cable warm. Not sure what this might involve or if any problem might occur. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The problem is that there is water in the cable now so it will keep refreezing. You can try blowing air through it to flush the exisitng water out or you can add some antifreeze to it to help prevent it from freezing.

I would just test the cable before you start the machine. If it's frozen, hit the heated throttle cable button and after a few seconds you should be good to go.

Mikes got it right.u can also buy a cable lube kit ,I was told that would fix it,it didn't for me,but that was 15 or so years back when I had my first max ,I didn't have,nor ever heard of a heated cable,I carried a propane torch to thaw it it out when duck hunting, scary deal.

Any pics how the factory heated cables are hooked up electrically. I am getting so close to putting (bruiser )back together LOL attex with max axles and max heated throttle cable. I assume the connection goes to battery comes back to a lighted toggle and to the cable. BUT you know what they say about assuming things

It's in the manual section on this site. http://www.6x6world.com/images/recre...d-Throttle.pdf I force isopropal alchol through mine to clear the water. Iv had to repair vehicles that were started in gear with frozen cables and the owners tried to free them up with the engine running. The throttle pulls open and the vehicle runs off. One person was standing beside his and pulled the throttle open. The vehicle ran over him and the hunting camp then off down the mountain into a creek. The owners manual states that vehicles are parked in reverse, just like park in automatic transmission trucks. ( if you still have any springs on the sticks)

Ogdensburg, NY mailing but live in Morristown, New York
    Thanks - will give it a try.

+ Reply to Thread