Bent Front Axles

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bent Front Axles

Bent Front Axles

Well, it was bound to happen due to the places I drive in. I was doing my routine maintenance when I took off all my wheels checked the bearings, started the machine up and found that the front axles are bent. I'm not sure if I need to change out the axles or not. I can drive the machine just fine but get the bumpy ride at higher speeds, it gets a pretty good oscillation going and I have to slow down. I'm sure that's because of the axles. I know if I do change out the axles I might think about doing the bearings. What do you guys think, should I change out just the axles and leave the bearings or should I do the whole thing. I've never changed out axles before on my machine so it is going to be a new experience. Oh and Happy Thanksgiving to Everybody. Hope it was happy and blessed with joy.
    Last edited by wheeler; 11-28-2014 at 04:17 PM.
    "I'm NOT stuck, I'm just temporarily stopped"

I straighten mine in a hydraulic press with no issues. I think if I was going to pull the axles I'd change the bearings too.

Last edited by Model Citizen; 07-11-2016 at 06:27 PM.

Good ideas ladies and gents. Give it to me straight, I've seen the posts over the years on here and I really wonder how hard is it to change the axles on a Max IV. That would be the front axles! Any good tricks, tips, ideas to keep me from throwing things?

Hope you have a better time than I did! looked at Mickes video and looked easy!! but mine was not!! could not get the grub screws out of the brake disc,had to cut it to bits and bearing too! I was well peed off, Rod on here is straightening the axel and making a new disc for me. hopefully back soon.
    Richie

Quote Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
    Hope you have a better time than I did! looked at Mickes video and looked easy!! but mine was not!! could not get the grub screws out of the brake disc,had to cut it to bits and bearing too! I was well peed off, Rod on here is straightening the axel and making a new disc for me. hopefully back soon.
    Richie
    Waiting for carrier to collect them Richie, should have collected days ago but obviously busy due to Christmas. The carriers did warn everyone that parcels wouldn't be delivered due to driver shortages and driving hours regs.
    This will not get better as more and more drivers leave the trade. I didn't renew my class one last time it expired, I want nothing more to do with these stupid eu regs, they can stick the drivers cpc where the sun don't shine. Now although the likes of me do not directly affect parcel deliveries we do indirectly. By my giving up my truck licence I cannot collect and deliver trucks to repair the curtains and bodies, this means a driver has to. This then uses his driving time up so he can't deliver parcels because he has to be back early to deliver his truck to us, and another driver has to be back early to collect him from us. You multiply this by the amount of trucks here and how many times they have to go for repair / maintenance and it all starts to mount up.

Oh no, let me know when its collected please, was hoping to get it fitted then my son can follow me.
    Richie
    p.s if you give me the box size and weight I will get it picked up by a courier.
    Last edited by wiggy; 11-29-2014 at 09:09 AM.

Hey wiggy
    Thats what I've seen from alot of posts on here. Some people don't have too hard of a time but allot of them have all the special tools. Hoping more people chime in here on ideas and advice before I get started on it.

If you have setscrew axles and you want to save the sprockets and rotors I cut the axles and get the parts out where I can beat the hubs red next to the set screws. I don't like applying that much heat in the tub. When trying to save an axle I put about 1/2" of water in bottom of the tub where heating. Just asume the setscrews will be a bugger and be prepared to beat them to release the locktite. Clean the hex pockets very good and make sure your Allen wrench fits in good. Heat the thin area of the hub outside the screw dull red then stick the Allen wrench in and try to move it. If it doesn't move heat it again. I haven't had to drill a setscrew out in a couple years now. If your sprockets have 1/4" screws there may be 2 screws per hole. I would tap all 1/4" ones to 5/16" and install the larger dog point setscrews. As mentioned by model citizen if the bearings arnt as smooth as new toss them.

I just pulled 6 axles out of my Max and had no issues. They all pretty much came out like butter. On the other hand, I spent about two months worth of weekends trying to get one axle out on my Buffalo. No matter what I tried, it would no come off. I used Kroil, heat (lots of heat), a slide hammer, and even managed to rig a 4 ton bottle jack between the hub and sprocket to try and get the slightest movement. Last ditch effort was pounding the face of the hub with a 20 pound sledge and I only ended up busting the inner flange with the force of the blows. After that, I gave up and just cut the axle and saved the sprocket.
    I don't know if you have an Auto Zone where you live, but you can rent tools free of charge. The slide hammer and flange come in real handy when pulling the axles if they are just a bit stuck.

+ Reply to Thread