Max IV frame issues and questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max IV frame issues and questions

Max IV frame issues and questions

I found what appear to be stress cracks towards the rear of the frame on my '96 Max IV. These were not surface cracks, they went all the way through.

I welded these up, but I was wondering if the support brackets everybody has been talking about recently would have prevented this? Specifically parts 015082 and 015081 in this pic...Where do they go?

Last question, I think I saw a thread that said some bends at the rear of the frame to accommodate the rear sprockets are "factory". Do these bends look like something RI would have done?

For the support brackets, check out the manuals section of the site. There is a frame reinforcement kit PDF that shows where the pieces go: Max 6x6 Manuals

On your last photo, those "bends" were caused by a sprocket or chain issue and are not factory. If you turn your Max and the rear tire slams into a tree, for example, it can push the axle in. That moves the sprocket in and causes the chain to try and climb off. Since there is very little room between the sprocket and frame, the chain will eat into the frame. Other things can cause the same problem but they ultimately involve the sprocket, chain and frame.

The usual thing to do with cracks is to drill a small (maybe 1/8") hole at the end of each crack to prevent the crack from spreading farther.

Another thing I came across...Is this really bad? Seems like the rear of the T20 sat lower than the front.

Not a big issue. You seem to have caught it before it got bad enough to do any damage to the T20 or machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    For the support brackets, check out the manuals section of the site. There is a frame reinforcement kit PDF that shows where the pieces go: Max 6x6 Manuals
    Hi Mike, I checked out that section but couldn't make heads or tails of the diagrams. I made a cardboard mock up of one of the pieces. It is not exact in size, but close enough to 015082. Does this look like where it would go?

I believe I took that pic. If you look in my pics at the repaired frame the parts show proper position. I've found a max IV with the transmission sitting 1/16" low looses almost half the chain adjustment. The side plates need to be installed with the top in line with the front of the frame. If you lay a 4 foot straight edge on the top of the frame you will be able to see any deviation in the rear area. If you text I have some pics of the parts set up on a frame. My # 907-388-8582

Mudd ox will not be making those kits I found out yesterday I too need the trans brackets that go on front and weld to the frame on my 2000

Any ideas on how to straighten those "bends" at the rear of the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyk72 View Post
    Any ideas on how to straighten those "bends" at the rear of the frame?
    An adjustable wrench should give you enough leverage to get the major bends out. Then use a solid piece of metal under the frame and use a hammer to beat if flat against that. You should be able to get it pretty flat/straight.

+ Reply to Thread