looking to get a max ii

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: looking to get a max ii

looking to get a max ii

Hey guys im new here and im looking into getting a 6x6, not looking to spend alot on a first one (2,000-3,000). I have found 2 of them on Craigslist near me, one is a 14 hp and one is a 16 hp. I was wondering if there were more differences between them then 2 hp and if there is anything to look at when first looking at them.
    Thanks alot mike

The only difference may be the carb, but then again, there could be all sorts of differences. One could have splined axles and the other pinned. They both could be pinned and one could have inner bearings and the other bushings. It all depends on year and options.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

So aslong as they aren't beat up eaither one should be a good starter 6x6

A good max 2 is a great starter machine, and you can build it into a beast(that's the fun part) Good luck... Norm.

Thanks alot is there anything in particular that I should look at on a max when looking to buy one?

Post up links to the ads that you are looking at and we may be able to tell you what we see wrong just from the pictures. A common practice is misrepresentation of the year of the machine. This may be an honest mistake, or perhaps not.......many people just do not know and throw a guess at the year. Knowing the true year, or at least year range will help us tell you what problems to look for. For $3k you should be able to find a nice MaxII with minimal issues (I always assume bad bearings). I'd look for a newer machine with K-lock rims and solid axles. The 14hp model will not have splined axles, but they may be solid. Anything with a pinned axle can wallow out the bolt holes, then they shear the pins(bolts) and you go nowhere. Splined axles can be more difficult to disassemble, but they would be my preference.

https://youngstown.craigslist.org/snw/4796679588.html

ARGO 6X6 AMPHIBIOUS VEHICLE

MAX ll 6x6

here are 3 max adds that are near by me what do you guys think?

If I were to look at any of the three I would choose the third one you listed. Reasons,16hp and dealer sticker on airbox. Owner may have actually kept up (or had dealer keep up) on the maintenance over the years.

I hate advertisements. There's always something omitted. The last Max ll ad said new bearings (plural) but nothing about chains. Why would you change one and not the other? If I were serious I would arrange for him to jack it up so I could check out play in the bearings by trying to move the wheels. Roll the tires back and forth while also on jacks to check chain play. While it's up you can also look for tub damage underneath. It don't take much to take out a few wing nuts and lift the body up and give it a good look inside either. As far as battery, you can buy a battery for these things at Wally World cheap. If I were selling it I would surely put a new battery in it. It would be a very cheap good selling point. I would take a small battery with me or make arrangements for him to start it up so I could drive it. That would give you a chance to check out the tranny. It should start by using the pull start, but you never know. Just sayin.
    Our motto in the Strategic Air Command was "Peace is our Profession". If you don't believe it we'll bomb the hell out of you.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMeg View Post
    If I were to look at any of the three I would choose the third one you listed. Reasons,16hp and dealer sticker on airbox. Owner may have actually kept up (or had dealer keep up) on the maintenance over the years.
    The third looks ok, the second sounds alright too. It's written as if the owner has some idea on how to maintain a machine at least. I don't like the first ad at all. It's all copy and paste dealer info. People do that when they don't know anything about a particular machine. Makes me think it's a flip for someone who just thinks they can make a quick buck without going through the machine and making sure it's right. None of these are stellar deals, but I don't think you would be getting burned if they were ready to go or even just needing bearings. I've sold a few Max II's in the past with briggs engines and pinned solid axles. Every one was ready to go with new bearings and good chain turn the key and hit the trail. I Think I've gotten anywhere between $2600-$2800 for them, but absolutely no work was needed as they were completely refurbished. I say this only to give a reference as to what they should be worth ready to go. If you watch, you may be able to get a newer splined axle unit for $2500-$3000 that may only need minimal work like bearings and chain.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

+ Reply to Thread