Recently purchased a Max 2 23 hp Kohler 2002 model won't start

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recently purchased a Max 2 23 hp Kohler 2002 model won't start

NEED HELP Recently purchased a Max 2 23 hp Kohler 2002 model won't start

Purchased with throttle cable broken , ordered already. Acts like it's not getting gas, runs if I pour gas in carb when it burns off it cuts off. Fuel pump seems to be ok. Carb looks clean on the inside. Any suggestions before I buy a new carb at around $200 and kit at 80 but doesn't come with jets !
    Last edited by Jimmychd02; 12-09-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Jim Check to insure gas is getting to the fuel filter.with the alcohol in our gas these days if much moisture adds up in the tank u can get a clog where the line exits the tank,if it bad enough it will look like frog eggs.If you have little or no flow puff it out with a little compressed air, carefully! Drain the tank,fill it with fresh gas plus stableizer.

Jim, I'm guessing u checked the float bowl.another trick I've picked up is pb blaster lawn mower tuneup,spray the red foamy stuff into the carb from after the pump,let it sit a while, hook it all back up,give the float bowl a few light taps try it out.The more u can get n there,and the longer it stays the better.

Quote Originally Posted by dollar bill View Post
    Jim, I'm guessing u checked the float bowl.another trick I've picked up is pb blaster lawn mower tuneup,spray the red foamy stuff into the carb from after the pump,let it sit a while, hook it all back up,give the float bowl a few light taps try it out.The more u can get n there,and the longer it stays the better.
    Dollar Bill thanks for info. I did drain gas, made sure I was getting fuel to the carb. From pump ! Took carb top off its full, don't know if a passage in carb is stopped up ! Has keihin carb ! Never ridden or started one ! Was hoping this throttle cable may have something to do with it. Wishful thinking ! Supposedly has some kind of fuel shut off, but don't know. I will try your pb blaster trick ! As long as I pour fuel in top it runs, when it burns off it cuts off !

Just a dumb question. have you checked to see if your motor has an electric fuel shut off somewhere near the bottom of the carb? A lot of engines have them. Make sure the wire is hooked up and if it is make sure it's getting power also.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfer Dude View Post
    Just a dumb question. have you checked to see if your motor has an electric fuel shut off somewhere near the bottom of the carb? A lot of engines have them. Make sure the wire is hooked up and if it is make sure it's getting power also.

I am willing to bet that it is what Sufer Dude is talking about. My Kohler and Fred's has had this happen to us. To fix the problem you can either by another fuel shut off (if it is getting power) that is mounted at the base of the carb by two screws/bolts with one hot/red wire plugged into the wiring harness, or you can do what I did and just removed the two bolts/screws pull the fuel shut off at and file down the tip on the spring loaded fitting. I reinstalled mine after that and it started up and ran. Sometimes they go bad and stay in the close/fully out position, which won't allow any fuel to leave the carb and go into your intake. By pouring fuel in the top you are bypassing the shut off. I hope this helps. Note when you pull the shut off the carb will drain out the hole where the shut off was keep rags handy.
    Hold My B..R and Watch This!!!

That's what it was! but had taken carb apart to check, so I rebuilt it ! It's running great, can't wait to get throttle cable ! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Surfer Dude View Post
    thats what it was ! Wish I had joined this forum before I took it apart !

Glad u got it,Jim.I didn't know the Kohler had that feature.one of these things died on me before but it was a Kawasaki on a zero turn.thanks to u and the other replys I know to look out for this on my buffalo.have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmychd02 View Post
    thats what it was ! Wish I had joined this forum before I took it apart !
    GREAT! I'm glad it worked out for you. Now go enjoy your machine

+ Reply to Thread