2002 Max II 18hp vanguard swap to 25hp kohler help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 2002 Max II 18hp vanguard swap to 25hp kohler help

Nice

That looks awesome! I've got a 31hp Generac in an Argo Frontier, and it really sings. I could imagine that 28 in a Max2. I've got a Max2 with the 20hp Kohler that is really strong too, but 28 fuel injected HP is just going to make for an alpha beast machine.

I'm glad to see that drive clutch fits in there, there more money but 10X the clutch.

Thanks for flipping the pictures for me Nubs. Didnt know how to post them like that. but she will be running in a couple days. Cant wait to try this team clutch out. Don't know that anyone else has one in one of these machines yet but it fit perfectly. Motor fits the new motor mount plates with no modifying. just going to be doing the exhaust work today and could test fire the machine.

i'll ask again though, My only question as of now is regarding the stock engine harness. It was a 5 wire plug.: the harness has the fuel shut off solenoid wired to the starter wire and also the stator wire? so when turning the starter over will open the fuel solenoid and once the stator starts making power it will keep it open? this make sense to anyone? lol it seems like it would work. then I wouldn't have to run any extra wires

I don't know that engine wiring but I would say if its a factory connection it should be right. stator's produce AC current and the regulator converts it to DC so i'm not sure what that deal is all about.

It would be easier to run another wire and then you know its correct. You will also need to update your ignition switch to give +12v when the key is on.

Quote Originally Posted by liflod View Post
    It would be easier to run another wire and then you know its correct. You will also need to update your ignition switch to give +12v when the key is on.
    My key switch already produces 12v when the key is. bottom middle connection on my key switch i believe. I just think its odd to have that engine like that. So I will try it the way its factory wired and test the fuel solenoid to see if its getting power but without the starter hooked up so I can make sure its all wired correctly. which obviously it should be if it came out of a running driving mower was basically just seeing if anyone had seen this before

The green wire to the solenoid should only have power when starting, power there any other time would cause starting unless there is a diode.
    You can try it but sounds wrong to me, the 7 prong switch would be better with a switched live.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

It looks just spiffy, what did you find?

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Well It did fire right up other day but dies immediately from fuel solenoid turning back off as soon as I let go of the starter.... Weird that they are wired together like that. But easy enough to run the wire from the key switch back. No big deal at all.... Didin't make much progress at all this past weekend because I ended up going into work for some overtime. But all I have left to is install air intake and connect throttle cable and add that wire which I may be able to do tonight..... Then I can put the upper body on and take her for a spin. If I have enough time.... Will keep everyone updated

+ Reply to Thread