2002 Max II 18hp vanguard swap to 25hp kohler help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2002 Max II 18hp vanguard swap to 25hp kohler help

2002 Max II 18hp vanguard swap to 25hp kohler help

So i recently purchased a 25hp kohler command to swap into my max II that is currently equipped with a perfectly fine 18hp vanguard. Just was a great deal I couldnt pass up for the extra horsepower. So here is what I need help with.

Clutching:
    Motor has an 1 1/8" shaft so stock drive clutch will not work.
    Should I go with the CVtech powerblock 80 clutch or buy a comet 1195 or whatever they are offering now from comet. If I go with the powerbloc do I also need to buy the powerbloc secondary clutch on tranny.

Electrical:
    Is my stock harness even useable? or do I need A new harness now? I know I have to wire in an extra wire for the fuel shut off but want to see if I can use original harness at all

Exhaust:
    I am changing to an internal exhaust now. Can I get the muffler and extension pipe from anyone other than MAX6X6.com? Little pricier than I thought.
    What brackets and heat shields do I need to do this

Venting:
    I have never looked inside a Kohler equipped internal exhaust machine. I know they have a vent on the flywheel side of the engine that goes to the vents of the upper body. But what brackets are needed to mount this?
    And on the exhaust side i'm sure there are heat shields and possibly more venting and brackets? Anyone maybe have pictures and description?

Fuel:
    The fuel pump is mounted on the valve cover and operated by the rocker arm. Is this better or worse then a vacuum operated pulse style fuel pump?

motor mounts:
    Will this mount up to my stock vanguard motor mount plates? or do I need to modify or buy new plates?

Basically I need all information available to complete this swap. I know that mad_max_500cc and i'm sure others have done this swap and I have already PMed him with no response yet and I am getting antsy and would like to start getting parts on order so I can start the switchover. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pm me if you would rather talk over the phone. Thanks again

Surferdude

Where did you get a great deal on the 25hp? Sorry I can't help answer your questions, I'm still in the planning stages

Quote Originally Posted by aarinsingh View Post
    Where did you get a great deal on the 25hp? Sorry I can't help answer your questions, I'm still in the planning stages
    Was a craigslist deal. Low hours, super clean

Plus the fact that you SLEEP on 4 leaf clovers....... did I hear there's another junior racer coming out of buffalo?

I did the same thing......only it was a 16hp briggs to a 40hp Kohler
    Clutching: I bought a maxII secondary from Recreatives file:///C:/Users/Admin/Downloads/INVANCEANG_27722.pdf You will need to change yours because there is not enough room for the primary.[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    For the primary, I bought the powerbloc 80 they used on a MaxIV w/ the 29hp Kaw. I would suggest a open roller type instead....much easier to tune. cpp09.jpgcomet 1195.jpgpowerbloc 80.jpg

Electrical: Your stock wires will work, they just need to be spliced into the correct position on a new plug.....and yes, the solenoid wire added.

Exhaust: I made my own.

Venting: I made my own....and yes it is important to get the hot air out of the tub.

Fuel pump: The stock Kohler work well, but I put on an electric one. I ran out of gas once (maybe 2+) and a suction pump takes much longer to prime than a push.

Motor mount: Drill new appropriate holes in the existing mount....and chuck those rubber things and solid mount it to the frame.

More money but it's the real deal IMO

http://teamaftermarket.com/parts-cat...8-keyed-934005

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    I did the same thing......only it was a 16hp briggs to a 40hp Kohler
    Clutching: I bought a maxII secondary from Recreatives file:///C:/Users/Admin/Downloads/INVANCEANG_27722.pdf You will need to change yours because there is not enough room for the primary.[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    For the primary, I bought the powerbloc 80 they used on a MaxIV w/ the 29hp Kaw. I would suggest a open roller type instead....much easier to tune. Attachment 13065Attachment 13066Attachment 13067

Electrical: Your stock wires will work, they just need to be spliced into the correct position on a new plug.....and yes, the solenoid wire added.

Exhaust: I made my own.

Venting: I made my own....and yes it is important to get the hot air out of the tub.

Fuel pump: The stock Kohler work well, but I put on an electric one. I ran out of gas once (maybe 2+) and a suction pump takes much longer to prime than a push.

Motor mount: Drill new appropriate holes in the existing mount....and chuck those rubber things and solid mount it to the frame.
    Buggy man. so the invance clutch is a must just because you have to slide the motor so far over to clear the clutch i'm assuming? And that is a factory equipment part now because of this? Are springs available for them like the 780?

Does anyone know anything about that team clutch? only reason I ask is because I want a taller clutch for more topend that grabs as hard as a comet 1190 and a powerbloc.

exhaust i'll probably have to buy factory muffler and tip. venting also probably

So for the wiring harness I would just need to put a kohler plug on my factory harness?

Surferdude,
    What ya gonna do with that 18HP Vanguard?????
    Our motto in the Strategic Air Command was "Peace is our Profession". If you don't believe it we'll bomb the hell out of you.

I use many of them,The team is twice the clutch compared to the 1190 and 1/2 the weight.

Team and 780

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw1 View Post
    Surferdude,
    What ya gonna do with that 18HP Vanguard?????
    i'm not entirely sure what i'm doing with it yet. Not even sure what it's worth if I did sell it. PM me your number

+ Reply to Thread