advice on buying used maxIV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: advice on buying used maxIV

advice on buying used maxIV

I have always wanted a 6 wheeler. I am considering buying one used. What should a guy that has not owned a 6 wheeler look out for in a used machine. there is one for sale its older maybe 1980 Max IV. no motor. Pictures look Ok. what should I look at if I go check it out.
    Thanks.
    Mike

From one Mike C. to another, here's a comprehensive buyer's guide that Mike B. has created over the years that covers all the bases. Since the machine you're looking at doesn't have an engine, some of this will be irrelevant.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...r-s-guide.html

Don't buy it. If your new to 6x6's buy something that's factory and not something someone may have rigged up. You want to enjoy this sport and not spend your free time rebuilding a machine. There are also safety concerns to think about, maybe you have younger children you would like to take with you. Buy something safe for everyone sake. There are affordable machines from members that show up hear from time to time. That would be my first choice to buy a machine. Just watch and a member will chime in on weather it's a good deal or not. If no one from this site hasn't already seen the add the post it and you'll get lots of advice. Just my two cents.

IMHO, a 1980's era MAX will probably need lots of work/upgrades in addition to finding a motor for it.

I would pass as well.

As an FYI, I found a nice 2000 model year in excellent condition for a reasonable price, so if you're patient, you can do the same.

These guys are right. Been there, done that with a Max 1V. Buy as late of a model as money will allow. Look for big H.P., solid axles, good tires. etc, etc. Remember, when it comes to bearings, axles, and tires you almost have to buy six of everything. Trannys are expensive. Full chain job is expensive. You could fart around and spend enough money to buy a late model unit in really good shape with the money it would take to rebuild an 80's model. Just sayin
    Our motto in the Strategic Air Command was "Peace is our Profession". If you don't believe it we'll bomb the hell out of you.

thanks all for the advice. also thanks for the buyers guide. this is all good advice. I am a sucker for a project and have done many over the years and I agree with outlaw1 and have found I have put more money in a little at a time.

+ Reply to Thread